Power steering pump question

-

Hadahemi

Reaction score
I'm putting a '78 440 from an RV into my '72 Demon and it would save a lot of hassle if I could use the power steering pump thats on the 440, but that pump is a completely different looking style. The 440 pump is flat and almost triangular shaped, and the Demon pump is round with a longer fill neck. Anyone know if the gearbox cares what pump its hooked up to??

I don't think gearbox cares at all what pump is running it. I don't know if you have room for PS and 440 under the hood. Maybe some of the other members can tell you the have BB cars.

No, the gearbox doesn't care. The round filler neck pump on the '72 is a Federal-made item. The "ham can" shaped one on the 440 is a Saginaw-built pump. They do not fit the same brackets, so factor that into your swapping procedure. Also make sure pulley alignment won't be an issue; there are pulleys with different amounts of "dish" (offset) to work with different belt and drive pulley configurations. The pressure hose (w/formed metal ends) is different for the Saginaw vs. Federal pumps, because these two pumps have their outlet located differently. So you'll need a pressure hose for a Saginaw pump. The other end of the pressure hose, where it connects to the steering gearbox, also may present a problem: many (all?) of the hoses for the Federal pump have a female thread at the steering box end, while most (all?) of the hoses for the Saginaw pump have a male thread at the steering box end. Not a difficult mismatch to fix; the adaptor you need is no longer supplied by Chrysler, but is not a particularly specialized part. It has 1/4" male SAE threads on one end and 5/16" male O-ring on the other. Looks like it is probably the 2nd line item (#6400-04-05) here, so jot down the interchange part numbers (Weatherhead C5315, etc.) and take them and both P/S pressure hoses to your nearest hydraulic line shop (use the Yellow Pages or the web to find it) and confirm for them that you need an adaptor that has the male threads of the steering box end of the Saginaw hose on one end, and the male threads to accept the steering box end of the Federal hose on the other end. You will also need an appropriate oilproof O-ring and an appropriate copper washer for the end of the adaptor that screws into the steering box.

Great, thanks guys...Slantsixdan, I appreciate all the details-you just saved me a ton of time.

I don`t think you`ll have any problems, I believe they used the same steering gear from 72 to 79(?).

Steering gear interchange is determined by output (pinion) shaft diameter. Small-pinion P/S boxes are on '62-'72 A- and B-body. Large-pinion P/S boxes are on '73-up A- and B-body, '62-up C-body, all F-, M-, and J-body. Small and large pinion P/S boxes interchange complete when required (for example when putting a '73-'76 spool-mount K-frame in a '67-'72 A-body).

-
Back