power steering pump woes

-

mopar head

Reaction score
My PS pump is leaking bad. shaft seal`s dry, did`nt see any tell tale wetness around press. fitting or return line. only other place could be around resevoir. This car should take the federal 1.06 cu. in. pump round filler. I replaced this pump prob. 2-4 years ago. any who, autozone, and advance, says not available:angry7: The zone ordered one, and came in wrong, would`nt work with my brackets, but otherwise similar to previous one. here`s the kicker, they offer the pump minus the resevoir. but all my books say unservicable? Has anybody swapped resevoir to new pump? how does it come off? What seals it, O ring? I`ll try NAPA + Carquest tomorrow. Thats all we have in the local area. Any Web sites? I havent had any luck so far. Thanks for any input

I was the pump repairman at Steering Gear,if it's like the saginaw it's held togeather with 2 studs and a union on the back,take those out and pull housing off,there is a large O ring around pump and 2 small O rings inside where the studs are,union has it's own O ring.I done a million.Good luck

I was the pump repairman at Steering Gear,if it's like the saginaw it's held togeather with 2 studs and a union on the back,take those out and pull housing off,there is a large O ring around pump and 2 small O rings inside where the studs are,union has it's own O ring.I done a million.Good luck
Thanks for response. But this is federal style. nothing on back but 1 or 2 tapped holes, depending on year. how did you remove resevoir? tap with rubber malet? sheet metal looks easily damaged. pump works fine, just leakes probably at large O ring. And I`d say fat chance getting O rings separetly? any thoughts? I`d luv to just replace O rings. These babys are getting expensive 80 bux or so

I retired in 99 when delphi took over,can't even get in the door anymore or I'd get u the seal's,i just sold a Federal pump on ebag,guess I shoulda looked it over,my car is manual steering,sorry.

Have you ever heard of a product called Lucas Oil Power steering stop leak?I had a Firebird that had a BAD leak I added some of that and it Totally stopped the leak and the unit was fine from then on . I was very amaized with the product.

You probably want to repair the pump but that sealer sure worked for me and was easy as pouring in into the pump.. Good luck

https://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(riz1pbuub2irrx45nmqtks55)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=2130002144
Defenitly, a cheaper fix, thought about a stop leak, but figured, The leak was too large. overnight, would leave a 3" puddle on floor:angry7: How long did you run this bird, after treatment? Does GM use recirculating ball PS boxes? I`m just concerned about this stuff gumming any other componets up and creating another problem?

The 3" leak spot on the ground overnight sounds tiny compared to how badly my pump was leaking.I figured the Lucas stuf would not be able to work but that product worked 100% and I never had to pull the pump out for repaires after that.

I was very impressed with the product. I had run the car about 2 years after iI added the product before I sold the car and I know the buyer.He never came back to me with a PS problem. I think Lucas guarantees the stuf to work or money back.Good luck with your leak . Hope I was able to help.

Hi Moparhead, if you have a hard time finding O-rings try a JohnDeer outlet, they have all kinds and sizes of O-rings. My power steering pump started leaking around the large O-ring and I could not find one anywhere... the pump is an original from a 1964 Dodge 330 (well thats what the engine came from anyway)

I could not find this o-ring anywhere so a buddy who worked for JohnDeer took my old one and matched it up perfectly so I took 2 off their hands for dirt cheap... Put one on and havent had a leak since but have a back-up just in case.

Moparhead,i've got a rebuilt Federal pump sitting on the shelf that i used for about a month before i switched to manual,if your interested let me know..

The 3" leak spot on the ground overnight sounds tiny compared to how badly my pump was leaking.I figured the Lucas stuf would not be able to work but that product worked 100% and I never had to pull the pump out for repaires after that.

I was very impressed with the product. I had run the car about 2 years after iI added the product before I sold the car and I know the buyer.He never came back to me with a PS problem. I think Lucas guarantees the stuf to work or money back.Good luck with your leak . Hope I was able to help.
Hey remfan, I`m all about easy fixes. I`m gonna get on the phone, as soon as I`m finished typing and search for a Lucas stopleak, thanks

Hi Moparhead, if you have a hard time finding O-rings try a JohnDeer outlet, they have all kinds and sizes of O-rings. My power steering pump started leaking around the large O-ring and I could not find one anywhere... the pump is an original from a 1964 Dodge 330 (well thats what the engine came from anyway)

I could not find this o-ring anywhere so a buddy who worked for JohnDeer took my old one and matched it up perfectly so I took 2 off their hands for dirt cheap... Put one on and havent had a leak since but have a back-up just in case.
Kearnel, thanks for input, my closest JD dealer is a 45min. drive from here but info`s good to know. I thought I remember reading an artical in a mag, about a make your own Oring. Cut to length, and special glue. but maybe industrial application "large".

Moparhead,i've got a rebuilt Federal pump sitting on the shelf that i used for about a month before i switched to manual,if your interested let me know..
Thanks, stroked, If things don`t pan out, I`ll keep you in mind. Im finding not all federals will work with my brackets. Guess they changed the design a little through the years. Im sure my pump came with a life warranty, But with a folder 1 1/2" thick, of reciepts I cant, find it anywhere:angry7:. Well,, a fellow member is waiting for me to get some seats packaged, and my cuda`s blocking access, time to go to work8)

Well got the stopleak and#-odamn it still leaks/ worse! well there`s a inproper cap in the equasion, but after 3-4 years of leakfree service, all of a sudden this. And this leaking is with no pressure. you would think it would work, but, Nooooo, not for me, that would be too easy. Sooooo, I`ll think I`ll try my hand at replacing the O rings. I have a local Mohead that said he has a cap that may work, $5, I`ll buy that! wish me luck. Man I hope I dont bugger up that resivoir:-BTW come to find out this is a TRW style Pump.

crane 001.jpg

Hi Mopar head sorry it didnt work for you . Get this, today my 340 dart arrived and it had a bad PS leak. They had nearly no fluid in the pump . oh joy... Anyway , I bought some of the stop leak and added the entire small bottle. It was only sitting in my drive way but I ran the car about 10 min .I think the leak is stopping. Ill have to give it more time and keep checking it . One of the hoses looks pretty chaffed so I have more investigating to do . Only had the car a day ... Ill get back to you with my results. Did you add plenty to the pump and turn the wheel back and forth several times to help circulate the sealer?? did you give it time to work? just curious.

Not to be a smart *** but have you ever thought about converting to manual? There is a thread poll on here not long ago that asked the very question "Manual or Power?". The last I looked the manual had the most votes.

I have manual 67 cuda and it really isn't that bad. I've always had power steering in my cars and was really surprised at how easy it is to turn. And of course no leaks. Here is the thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33115&highlight=manual+OR+power+steering

Hi Mopar head sorry it didnt work for you . Get this, today my 340 dart arrived and it had a bad PS leak. They had nearly no fluid in the pump . oh joy... Anyway , I bought some of the stop leak and added the entire small bottle. It was only sitting in my drive way but I ran the car about 10 min .I think the leak is stopping. Ill have to give it more time and keep checking it . One of the hoses looks pretty chaffed so I have more investigating to do . Only had the car a day ... Ill get back to you with my results. Did you add plenty to the pump and turn the wheel back and forth several times to help circulate the sealer?? did you give it time to work? just curious.
Yea I thought about not having enough time to work? but, conviently, oil press dropped scarey low, at same time. Not wanting to drive it, I let it get up to temp. and, turned lock to lock 5 times. I might try it asap cause I have a proper cap, and that will be out of the equasion. I resolved oil press. prob. And if it still doesn`t seal, rebuild time..I have seal kit ordered, got from napa came in wrong. Reordered, proper kit, 5 days to recieve:angry7: At least they let me behind counter, to verify pump pics. Mines not a federal, but a TRW Thompson, real simular. caps interchange. I`ts my favorite toy, Cant stand to see her down:-D I put aprox 9000 mi. a year on her. Built it to drive!!!!!!!!!

Not to be a smart *** but have you ever thought about converting to manual? There is a thread poll on here not long ago that asked the very question "Manual or Power?". The last I looked the manual had the most votes.

I have manual 67 cuda and it really isn't that bad. I've always had power steering in my cars and was really surprised at how easy it is to turn. And of course no leaks. Here is the thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33115&highlight=manual+OR+power+steering
Mully,I kinda grown fond of this 1 fingered powered steering, but as much oil as this bastards blown all under my car I` like to take a BFH to it. If I rebuild,recover stopleak, and it still leaks, Thats defenitly an option I`ll consider:-D. One negative of powersteering is when your on a grade, and you get stupid, and get all sideways:-D It`s harder to feel just what the front tires are doing compared to manual 8)

Glad to hear you did some lock to lock turns on the wheel . Its probably pretty cold out where you are these days so everything on the car is extra chilled. Give it time to work and refill the level if needed.Please keep us posted on everything.PS luv the finger tip sterering on this car .Ill take it if I can get get.

moparhead, I just wanted to let you know the power steering leak I had on the dart I just picked up two days ago has been fixed with Lucas oil power steering stop leak with nothing more than Idleing the car in front of my garage and turning the wheel several times to work it in .

I added one full small bottle and topped the pumed back up with part of a second bottle . That did the trick . The steering is quiet and working fine . I hope you get yours going . It should have a good chance with the stop leak .

Happy to announce that Lucas has come through:cheers:. just the slightest weep still, but I believe that will tighten up with more driving. Oil press, resolved, and happily once again disturbing the peace of our local residents:-D thanks to those who responded8)

Im glad you gave the Lucas a try and that its working .Im sure the leak will go away for you and stay gone . Thats stuf works fine ....Just top the pump back to full as needed with Lucas .

-
Back