Power steering pump??

-

greg

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a problem. I just put a 1973 340 in my 1968 Dart and I thought I had the correct power steering pump. Turns out I didn't. The one I purchased was for a slant six...now I have two of those!! Can anyone tell me what pump I need.

There is nothing such as a pump "for a slant-6". What you need is the correct set of brackets, pulley, and pressure hose to mount whatever pump you have on whichever engine you have. There are several different kinds of pump, therefore several different kinds of bracket, pulley, and hose.

Show us a picture of the pump(s) you have.

Make sure you have a V8 pulley !!

Slant 6
P7039621.jpg

V8
P7039620.jpg

Greg I believe your pump is the Federal pump so you'll need brackets for a federal pump to a small block. I didn't know there was any diff. with pulleys but according to Dave's pics there is. Might be just as cheap to get another pump with the correct brackets and pulley.

BTW: You can use the newer Saginaw pump. I used it on my 68 Cuda and it works fine. found it at a swap meet for $10 with the brackets on it.

Thanks a million guys. As I've mentined before I'm a little green with this stuff. I have great friends who are helping me with the project though. I try to have the correct parts lined up so when we get down to business we don't have any problems. I see I can get brackets for my Federal for about $80. I'm told the Saginaw looks more appropriate though. I'm going to see what I can find.

Will the pulley diameters vary between pumps or just the distance to block.

Thanks a million guys. As I've mentined before I'm a little green with this stuff. I have great friends who are helping me with the project though. I try to have the correct parts lined up so when we get down to business we don't have any problems. I see I can get brackets for my Federal for about $80. I'm told the Saginaw looks more appropriate though. I'm going to see what I can find.

The Saginaw is a sleeker, nicer looking pump IMO. That's what I run on my Cuda. It's not the original look for a 60's car but doesn't look out of place either.

Will the pulley diameters vary between pumps or just the distance to block.

I'm not positive but I'd think the diameter would be the same since it's controlling the same PS unit. Maybe Dave can verify that since he has both.

The pump you have is called a TRW Thompson and if you have the aluminum water pump there is not a bracket to fit it to the engine. The Federal pump has a smaller motch at 3 o'clock looking at back and you can get brackets for it. Whoile you can get rebuilt pumps trying to find a pulley is a different kettle of fish. i had to find a junk pump to get the pulley and just be aware there are two dirrefent high pressure fittings. The TRW Thompson and early Federals used an internal flare fitting but later Federals used an o-ring fitting. Been there done that - 68 Barracuda 318 changed to aluminum water pump to add Sanden A/C down line. Should have gone straight to a Saginaw pump as brackets and pulleys are out there readily available. See this website for bracket info: http://www.hoffmanswinnerscircle.com/cat16.htm

Actually there is such a thing as a /6 pump. The pressure relief valve in side the pump maintains a pressure that is a couple of hundred psi lower than the V8 pumps.

The /6 pump is actually preferred, it reduces the over boosted feel of the muscle car area power steering.

When mixing & matching pumps & boxes I'd always put in an adjustable valve so you can get the amount of assist that feels right to you. It'll add about $60 to your cost, but do it right from the get-go.

You'll be happy you did.

-
Back