Power Steering Pump

-

monoptn

Mopar Aficianado
Reaction score
I'm converting my 72 slant 6 demon to a 360, using schumacher engine mounts. Can I use the power steering pump off the slant 6? I know there were several different manufacturers of the pumps. How do I identify my ps pump, I assume I will need to know that to find the right bracket, if the pump is useable at all.

Thanks!

If it has a round resivoir it is a federal pump, if it is more "egg-shaped" it is a Saginaw PS pump. Hope this helps......

if its square with little yellow caps on the top your looking at the battery and you need to sit down and have a beer.. besides its beer'o'clock.

Cerwin

I just completed a similar swap. I had a Federal pump on my Slant 6. The pump itself can be used but the mounting brackets from the Slant 6 would not work in my case. I believe you will need to change the brackets. Just make sure you get the correct brackets for the style pump you have, they are different.

I ended up taking a complete saginaw set-up from a junkyard car, all the brackets AND pulley. I bought a new saginaw pump from Auto Zone and while I was at it changed the high pressure hose. It was about $150.00 when all was said and done.

How new of a pump/bracket will work? in other words, could I find an 89 Dodge truck with a 318 and use those brackets and pump?

I have the brackets and pump that I took off my 318 in my '73 Duster if you are interested in them. I don't need them since I swaped to manual steering. PM me and we can work out a deal if you want.

monoptn said:
How new of a pump/bracket will work? in other words, could I find an 89 Dodge truck with a 318 and use those brackets and pump?

I was lucky enough to find a Dart with a complete set-up. I would assume that a later CAR model would work, but trucks may be different than cars...... Anyone else know?

Dusterb318 said:

Just a word of CAUTION: I bought a set just like these off of E-Bay and thought I had the power steering problem fixed. There are actually three brackets, the one missing from this E-Bay seller is the large bracket that attaches in the front of the water pump and provides the adjustment slot. Plus there are also other brackets on the pump itself.....

I ended up not using the ones I bought from E-Bay and used the complete set-up from the junk yard. I was a little frustrated with the whole bracket and pulley process. I bought a couple pulleys that were on the car at the junkyard along with the power steering set-up, but they did not work when I tried to put them on. I was about 3/4" out of alignment on the alternator and water pump pulleys. I don't know if it was because I had a different water pump, maybe a pump for A/C equipped cars has a longer shaft?

Anyhow, just be aware that the brackets that Duster 318 found are needed, but one additional bracket will still be required plus the pump bracket itself. (My saginaw had two brackets on the pump itself)

Thats the set Dusterb318 !!! Wish I had found that when I was doing mine.

Hope I didn't offend you, I was just trying to be helpful so he didn't go through what I did..........

19duster74 said:
Thats the set Dusterb318 !!! Wish I had found that when I was doing mine.

Hope I didn't offend you, I was just trying to be helpful so he didn't go through what I did..........

Not at all......I forgot about the bracket that bolted to the pump itself.

-
Back