Power steering question

-

cletus

Cooter's Apprentice
Reaction score
Installed power steering. Saginaw type pump with the valve assembly from same year/model with slant, modified brackets to work on 440. Bought the pump from a member on here, doesn't make any bad noises or leak, I don't suspect it as a problem. I have run the steering lock to lock a few times to try to purge air. When the engine is running I have a phantom driver turning the steering wheel right. I can turn the wheel easily both directions, when I let go it slowly starts turning right. I should probably mention that the car is still in the air, so the box and pump haven't been put under load. Do I need to drop the car and run the steering back and forth a bunch more times under load? Did I F$#% something up? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made?

Try re-aligning the valve on the steering box. Look in the service manual. Move it slightly forward or rearward until it stops turning by itself and becomes "neutral" and not turn by itself...

Jack the front of the car up on jack stands,loosen the two bolts on top of the P/S box where your hoses hook up, just a little bit. Crank the car up and tap the valve forward or backwards and position the valve where the steering wheel stays straight. Rev the engine a little to make sure it still doesn't want to turn. Tighten the two bolts, DONE.

Damn. I was afraid of that. Those 2 bolts are going to be a PITA with my "custom" exhaust manifold in place.

Thanks for the information guys!

Damn. I was afraid of that. Those 2 bolts are going to be a PITA with my "custom" exhaust manifold in place.

Thanks for the information guys!

I was just thinking the same thing on my 440!

-
Back