Power Steering Question

-
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am picking up a '70 Duster within the next few weeks. I have a birth defect that causes me to have very low muscle mass, and I was wondering how truly easy the stock power steering is. My dad has had many old Mopars, but they were all manual. I've watched a few videos were people have said the stock PS is "overboosted" and it shows them turning the wheel with one finger. I can turn just fine at speeds over ~20mph, but below that is pretty difficult. I'm thinking about getting the EPAS steering that is $1,450 for a kit "made" to fit A-Bodies. But after watching a few of those videos maybe I can get away with the stock power steering. Would you guys know of a way to modify the stock power steering, if it isn't already easy enough?

Thanks, Cody

Unless you grew up on Mopar power steering most feel it is way too much. I like to describe it like being on ice, zero feedback.

Yes you can steer with a finger with little effort.

Alan

Awesome, so with two hands I should be golden! I will have a set of sticky 225/45/17 Nitto's on the front. Hopefully that doesn't effect it too much.

"A" body P/S for most of us performance minded guys feel that the stock set-up is too easy to turn, lacking "feel". This attribute is built into the box and can be modified internally to get more "feel" or resistance to the turning effort. Our wives may disagree. I would suggest that you try the stock P/S first and get an opinion. I have never heard of modifying the box to make it even easier to turn but try it first and we can go from there.

You won't have any turning effort with Mopar power steering !! If anything there's too much power assist!!

Good luck with the build of your Duster. You will find this site invaluable.

Post some pics for us

My Dart has 245/45/17's on it, you will not have any issues if it is stock. If the P/S box has been reconditioned lately, it may be modified to the new feel. Only you will know when you drive it.
Good luck!

There is quite a few things you will have to change. Pullies, pump, steering box, hoses, manual steering shaft in the column will need to be replaced with a PS shaft. They are shorter.

Lets back up, does the car that you expect to acquire already have P/S? Or does it have manual and you will want to change it to P/S.

I changes my car over and its not difficult. As stated, you'll need a pump, brackets, column with coupler (or shaft and coupler), Box and box bolts.

I would talk to Firm Feel or Streer and Gear as per your needs and have the box rebuilt, this will remove any play and deal with some of the stock box weak points. They might be able to set a box up for your specific needs and boost it more for you.

I used to have a 66 Coronet 500 with a 440 and factory power steering and you could from a dead stop turn the wheel with your index finger with a 225 wide tire on the front.

Steer and gear are good people, they just rebuilt my '72's P/S gearbox and pump. They would like a core, but I am sure that you could work something out. They could maybe guide you through changing the steering column out, maybe a different coupler? Look through FABO's for sale threads, sometimes you can find what you want. Make sure that if you go that route, that you don't buy something that needs to be reconditioned. Weigh that out. P/S unit to recondition is $340. The pump is $265. Plus shipping.

-
Back