Power steering questions - 68 Dart

-

jeryst

Reaction score
When I got my 68 Dart, the power steering pump had been removed. The steering box is still there, but the previous owner just connected the two ports with a hose, presumably to keep out dirt.

I bought a power steering pump, but before I hook it up, I have some questions, mostly about steering play.

Right now, there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. I bet there is at least a quarter to a third of a wheels worth of play in the steering wheel.

So what causes all that play? Is the steering box bad, does it need adjusted, or will the play go away once the pump is hooked back up? Or is it some combination of all three? I dont know how a steering box that is made for power steering acts when it is not connected to a pump, so I'm looking to the experts for an opinion.

Just like it does now,,,,,,,,,,,huge amounts of play.
Put the pump and hoses on it, fill it with fluid, jack up the front of the car, fire up the engine letting it idle, keep an eye on the fluid level while slowly turning the wheel lock to lock until all air is expelled.

The play should go away, or at least lessen a great degree once there is pressure in the system.
Is the play visible at the center link or at the box itself?

Good Luck,

George

The play should go away, or at least lessen a great degree once there is pressure in the system.
Is the play visible at the center link or at the box itself?

Good Luck,

George

I've never really looked. I dont drive it much, but I'm just talking about how it acts when I'm driving it. I have at least a quarter steering wheel of play.

-
Back