Power Steering Rebuild or Replace

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay so I have been calling around to try and find someone to rebuild my power steering. I have had some luck but GAH the prices are sky high. So my question is with an early A Body small shaft power steering box should I rebuild or replace? If rebuild should I attempt it myself or let a pro do it? If replace can I get it from any parts store?

Myself I would try rebuilding it, if your not comfortable enough in your skills. try searching Rockauto.com. I believe they have power steering boxes at reasonable prices.

I would love to try and rebuild it but I have seen horror stories on here and slantsix.org of people not getting it right.

I have found it on Rockauto and any stores also but some people have indicated the small shaft may be hard to find. So i am worried I am going to get something that won't fit.

Check Classic Industries they sell about everything power steering related.

If you purchase thru Classic Industries and your order is over $199 use the code TAX13 for free shipping. But has to be used today.

I would love to try and rebuild it but I have seen horror stories on here and slantsix.org of people not getting it right.

I have found it on Rockauto and any stores also but some people have indicated the small shaft may be hard to find. So i am worried I am going to get something that won't fit.

Also if you decide to order thru Rockauto they have great customer service from the times I have had to deal with them. Give them a call and ask questions they should be able to help you out.

I ordered it through Auto Zone because I have a friend that works there and I got it cheap. While I was there I bought a set of hex keys to remove the steering shaft from the input shaft and they don't fit. Can someone please tell me what I need to use to get this loose?

20130409_225808_zps0bd7400a.jpg

Yeah, you have to pound it out. I used a long 1/4" drive ratchet extension (from HF, so I didn't mind messing it up.) It's a little snug, but worked very well.

Then just use a pry bar of some sorts to pry the coupler off.

-
Back