power steering to manual sticker shock

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
My 71 Demon has power steering and didn't come that way. That and header clearance has made me decide to convert to manual. I'm having an issue with the price of re-man'd manual steering boxes. HOLY CRAP!

Hate to buy used, so who sells remanufactured boxes that ain't out to rape a guy?

I havent found any company that doesent bend you over when you buy a new box. My el cheapo plan was to get a used one and try and rebuild it. I am also hoping to get a 20:1 worm gear as opposed to the factory 24:1. I havent figured out who has the best deal though.

there is only like two or three moving parts in then! really easy to rebuilt

It's been my experience that the manual boxes rarely wear out or leak. I'm not saying it never happens, but I've never seen one that couldn't be adjusted if it was a little loose. Now getting bad rebuilds (carbs, alternators, water pumps, you name it) is pretty common. With that in mind I think you've got the same chances of getting a good used one as getting a good rebuilt one unless you're going to a well known and reputable company. If you do, they're not going to be cheap.

you could always get the new box. I think its made by flaming river.

My 71 Demon has power steering and didn't come that way. That and header clearance has made me decide to convert to manual. I'm having an issue with the price of re-man'd manual steering boxes. HOLY CRAP!

Hate to buy used, so who sells remanufactured boxes that ain't out to rape a guy?

you could always get the new box. I think its made by flaming river.

see above...

Hey Pauly! Thanks for the link. Reasonable price and free shipping. I owe 'ya!

Damn right you do !!
kidding aside, i used their box when i converted my 68 dart, it worked well and looked excellent with a kind of aluminized finish, so nice that i took it off before i sold the dart and swapped it with the one on my valiant, lol

-
Back