Power Steering to Manual

-

DusterdTb

Reaction score
Can anyone share their experience with converting a 1973 Duster power steering back to a manual steering car? I hear several different issues with pitman arms, steering column lengths, etc....

Can someone set me straight? I would not hesitate to swap the steering column either...(I'm going from the shifter on the column to a floor mounted system anyway!)

Thanks,

DusterdTb

Well I am currently changing my 1973 Duster from power to manual because I have a 6.1 motor that I have and there is not room. This is what I have done so far.

I did purchase a new steering column from Flaming river and the only thing you need to tell them is power or manual and they will give you the correct coupler for the job.

I am currently looking for a 20:1 manual box but with no luck thus far.

The skinny is that a 16:1 will work but I am told by Firm Feel that it is a little choppy in parking lots and that the 20:1 is a better ratio, but good luck in finding one. I am still looking.

As for the pitman arm I was told some of the older units pre-1973 have the smaller diameter for the pitman arm to fit but if you get a new unit you should be ok.

I had a column shifter on my duster, and got the shifter delete as well as the key delete on my new column and it looks much nicer. Now I may have to cut the column down still I think it is still too long but a band saw will fix it.

The one from Flaming River is a little long for a reason.

As for the manual box it will bolt right up to the K member.

It will be one of the easier thing I have to do to my Duster

Hope this helps.

I have a '72 Duster, manual steering, floor shift car to part out.
Let me know if I can help you out.
C

-
Back