power to manual steering swap

-

dust-u

Reaction score
just finished steering box changeover, I did notice the "adapter " had some play..is this "normal" fits fine just a little loose. have correct pitman but noticed toe on right side obviously out. being this is just a box swap how did the toe get affected? how "stiff " should the steering be with the car off the ground? mine feels a little on the tight side.any input welcome ... thanks guys...

just finished steering box changeover, I did notice the "adapter " had some play..is this "normal" fits fine just a little loose. have correct pitman but noticed toe on right side obviously out. being this is just a box swap how did the toe get affected? how "stiff " should the steering be with the car off the ground? mine feels a little on the tight side.any input welcome ... thanks guys...
I went from power to manual on a 73 Dart. One of the biggest mistakes I made on this whole build

well, I never had the luxury of power steering in many past mopes..i still have the power set up if all does not go well.

Al...Chuck Norris blindfolded with one finger on a manual box...lol

I’ll tell ya I have PS in 74 Dart and 72 Demon. Both are pretty quick cars and they steerbeyond smooth....a little scary in the Demon as you react to the car under hard accel. The 72 Swinger has manual rack and pinion. Stiff at no/low speed, but once moving I like it. I think if I got older and wanted easy cruising I’d be a PS guy.

I wish I could help you out with your toe vs camber issue. I am about to address front suspension stuff on the 72 Duster....something is out judging by the uneven wear on front tires, but car was not running when I got it. Power steering car.

Are you talking about the factory rag joint having play, or do you have an aftermarket u-joint ? either way I had play in an aftermarket joint on my manual setup, it drove me nuts in a very short time, especially with a quick ratio box, it defeated the purpose and Ruined the feel.

Also by "play" do you mean that the adapter can slide back and forth on the spines? If so, this should go away once the pins are tapped into place.

If you mean that that the play is in the rotational direction, something is wrong. Don't drive it until you can figure that out. The splines on the adaptor should be a perfect fit onto the steering box as well as into the end of the steering column.

My manual steering is stiff at a standstill but just barely get it moving and it steers like power

-
Back