power window motor or regulator?? how to test

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
Im going to help my dad fix the power windows on his car. I know its not an a body but i figured someone here might have the know how to get me in the right direction. Both front windows are not working on a 01 grand caravan. (stoped working at differant times). I am going to remove the door panel and try adding 12volts to make sure its the motor. Now if 12v does not make it go up and down, i am assuming it is the motor and not the switch. But how do i find out if i need a regulator or not?? Since they sell them with and without regulators?? What exactly does the regulator do?? I did have alot of knowledge on electrical. thanks for any info
mark

Apply 12v to the motors to see if they run, then reverse the leads and they should run in the opposite direction. What they refer to as the regulator, is the linkage that connects the motor to the glass. there is a gear on the regulator where the motor connects and it is common for them to strip.

Sometimes it is only a few extra bucks to get the motor & regulator together as a unit. Then you've got piece of mind that both are good to go.
C

No need to go to the trouble to add 12 volts. Simply use a test light and check the power coming from the switch. If you have power, you know the deal. Most of these newer cars don't just have two wires for hot and ground. There's a lot of times up to six wires going into the motor. Yeah. Stupid. There may just be two, you just don't know till you get there. O'Reilly's usually has a good selection of regulator assemblies. Most now come with motor and all. I have done an uncountable number of them through the years on bunches of different vehicles. Most only take about 20 minutes.

-
Back