Power Windows Question

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
I'd like to install power windows in my '71 Scamp. Anyone done this who can recommend quality aftermarket parts? I know there are a few companies who offer the parts, but who has the easiest system to install/best price? Any tips are much appreciated...

Not sure on this one .. But I would think the best way to go about this is to find a junk car of some kind ( K-Car , Fifth Ave. , Cordoba, etc....) and take everything out of it and put in your car going to have to do some fab work and its probably a pretty big job but I don't know for sure... Let us know what you do ....

Electric Life makes kits. Includes the regulator and motor. Switches are extra. They're supposed to be bolt in.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, my job is 7-days/wk, so I don't have the time to go to the salvage yard (or the fabricating know-how) to go the re-purpose route. I take an auto mechanics class a couple nights a week at the local high school, so I could probably get some help there.

I found two companies going by the Electric Life name. www.a1electriclife.com and www.electric-life.com. Both offer kits for early a-bodies, and E-bodies, but nothing for A-bodies between '70 and '72. I'll call them to discuss my '71 Scamp and see what they say. Kits from these companies run around $250.

XV Motorsports seems to have a direct fit kit for $499. Even then, their site indicates I'd need to send them my regulators to have them work something up for my particular model year. $499 seems like a lot, but then again, how much is my time worth trying to make something that's "almost right" fit?

Since my goal is to turn this Scamp into my daily driver, power windows would really make this a much more hassle-free ride. I'll keep working on this and let you guys know what I come up with.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Be careful of adding all of the creature comforts of new cars to our oldies. You may end up having to upgrade the charging system to handle the goodies. If you've already done that than disregard this post :-# It just seems like the charging systems on these cars were barely adequate at best. Just sitting there with the lights on at a stop light makes the blinkers flash slower and slower and I've tested 13.6v at the battery on fast idle.

Does anyone know of plans to putting together a post in the tech archive of electrical / charging upgrades. Part numbers and step by step would be cool.

ok i'm done :thumblef:

Thanks, Player. Right you are. I'm looking into completely rewiring (Ron Francis) to handle the additional draw.

-
Back