PPG Delstar, anyone used it?

-

Avispa

Reaction score
I have some PPG Delstar paint, should be acrylic enamel, anyone used this stuff before?
Also plan on useing PPG DP-90 80? black epoxy primer till I have bucks for a paint job, what air filter can I use and where can i get one, this is hobby stuff, so i don't need the top off the line stuff.
One more question, I need a water trap/filter for the compressor, anyone recommend one for a poor bastard like me?

Gotta do this paint on the cheap, then when Obama's stimulus kicks in I'll have Barris paint it:cheers:

Delstar is decent paint-not as good as the newer urethanes but good for an enamel and will hold up just fine.

This car was shot with Delstar. No problems with fisheye or orange peel. IMO better than OEM, not as good as the top-tier urethanes.

66 Dart GT 001.jpg

did you paint it yourdelf? if so, any tips on spraying it?

You can get a cheap disposable filter. It screws in line with your paint gun. I run a water trap as well.If your in the states have a look at harbour frieght.
Im sure they will have water traps for close to $10.

Sharpe's usually has some good prices on inline filtering systems. Basic set up moisture trap you can open the petcock on and drain without having to go mega bucks desicant system. The inline disposables are nice for the peace of mind, but remember you'll need to adjust your pressure. If your gun doesn't have a regulator on it (most do) get one, so you can see the pressure.

As for Delstar? Man it's been years. If it's a metallic you'll need to lay down a tooth coat. Crank the pressure, open up the fan and just kind of wave the gun over the car. You're not looking for an even coat, just a good "overspray" kind of thing. Wait about half the time you'd normally wait between coats, then start laying on the paint as you would regularly. After you get the required number of coats on, hit it with a metallic coat. Do the same thing you did with the tooth coat. This will atomize the metallics to a point that they're really just a mist and lay over any mottling you might have.

It's a good paint and very forgiving. Not urethane. It will require a little more maintenance, but pretty simple to spray.

it's OK paint, I know I wouldn't use it on my car, but it will work just fine, if it's metallic and you have never sprayed single stage metallic enamel, try to do couple of test panels to get used to it ,

Sharpe makes good filters, I have 4 of model 606 filters at the shop for years,I think I paid around $60 a piece

Stefan

It is a good paint, just add the DXR80 hardener, it will make it alot more durable. Devillbis & motorguard make good disposible gun filters.. 3m and Gerson also make good and required personal disposible masks for you to wear while painting. This stuff is not good for ya!!!!!!!!!!
Single stage metallics can be tough to spray

Bob

it's OK paint, I know I wouldn't use it on my car, but it will work just fine, if it's metallic and you have never sprayed single stage metallic enamel, try to do couple of test panels to get used to it ,

Sharpe makes good filters, I have 4 of model 606 filters at the shop for years,I think I paid around $60 a piece

Stefan

I got the same sharp filter plus another one that is good at catch water or anything that makes it past the trap. get a gauge/regulator like mentioned earlier for your gun. Practice first...

did you paint it yourdelf? if so, any tips on spraying it?
I sprayed under the hood, trunk area, and door jambs. My body guy did the outside. I used an old school siphon spray gun.

Mix paint well and use a strainer when loading the gun. I practiced on a big cardboard box to get used to the spray pattern of the gun and to figure out how close I needed to be to get good coverage without sags or runs. Go slow and methodical. Two light coats are easier to do than one heavy coat. You want to make sure that the paint is very smooth before shooting clear coat.

-
Back