PPG Duracryl dash paint

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for a recommendations on applying this dash paint. I've done it before with help from a half experienced painter and it turned out well. Ill be prepping the dash in my 72 demon for this paint and want to make sure I use the correct materials. First, what do I use for a primer under the paint? Second, what do I use for a lacquer thinner? Any tips, tricks, procedures here will help!

Looking for a recommendations on applying this dash paint. I've done it before with help from a half experienced painter and it turned out well. Ill be prepping the dash in my 72 demon for this paint and want to make sure I use the correct materials. First, what do I use for a primer under the paint? Second, what do I use for a lacquer thinner? Any tips, tricks, procedures here will help!
Surprised you can even buy it anymore with the VOC restrictions. If I remember right it's acrylic lacquer. as such it likes to blush when being applied in high humidity so you might want to get a can of retarder for it. Also straight lacquer is not really all that durable. As a non catalyzed product, strong cleaners such as glass cleaner that contains alcohol can attack it. Personally, I would use a base with a gloss, matte or satin clear for whichever appearance your trying to achieve. The tech sheets on that paint will tell you what materials and prep methods to use for under the paint and reduction ratios etc.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getmedia/00A87420-9C0C-4985-9E7C-4AE0DC7A62A9/03/p-148-ddl-duracryl.pdf

Last edited:
Any high grade lacquer thinner will work .
Avoid the cheap clean up thinners.
As mentioned above low humidity and moderate temp spray day is best.
Best to use lacquer primer under lacquer paint to be safe. The strong thinners will soften nearly every other kind of paint product leaving behind crazing. Particularly if not fully cured.
The thing about lacquer paint is it dries very hard.
Think brittle like glass. This means it chips easy.
It also means it can be polished extremely well.
For these reasons it is really a poor choice for a flat or satin finish dash when you compare to modern paints. But on the other hand it looks great, is the original paint process and very easy to work with.
To get the texture your looking for will require a test.
It comes down to how much thinner and how far away from your part you hold the gun. It is really that simple.

Thanks, I did remember to print off a tech sheet and that tells a lot.

-
Back