Pray for our Florida FABO friends

-
Ft. Meyers and Cape Corral got hit pretty hard with storm surge and wind. Probably don't have cell service yet in the area.

Just got a call from neighbor Renee in Palm Bay Florida.

A-OK at the property there. Power still on and Cell towers working.

They had 60 mph winds, eye of hurricane passed 20 miles to the North, lots of rain.

No damage, that was close.

_________

Coastal city of Port Charlotte on the opposite coast (Gulf Coast) had bad flooding.

Screenshot_20220929-085319_Firefox.jpg

The low lying coastal towns flood easily because there is no where for the heavy rain water to run off to.

Some of the towns are only a few feet above Sea Level, like the Port towns.

In So California there are a series of man made islands off the Newport cost.

They are 10 feet or so above sea level.

Multimillion dollar 500 SQ ft shacks.

Every once in a while there is an extreme high tide and they get some street flooding.

IMHO they better start building a dike now.

Just got a pic from my neighbor in Port Charlotte. Our house lost part of the roof in the wind last night. We are on the canals at the North end of Charlotte Harbor and was really worried about the storm surge, but that didn't materialize where we are. Sucks but doesn't look as bad as when Charlie took the whole roof off in 2004. Now trying to find someone to tarp the roof and prevent worse damage. The interior motion alarm went off so it's apparent that there's been full intrusion. Not the end of the world, it's a second home and there are a lot of folks way worse off than us, but it still stinks. My brother's place on Ft. Meyers Beach is probably gone or seriously messed up. He's right on the beach and the videos I've seen didn't look promising. Hope the rest of y'all came out OK.

1664479282919.png

Last edited:
I have Theresa on Facebook. Last she posted were pictures of where they had put corrugated metal over the windows and secured everything best they could before she and AL went to stay with friends on the mainland. The worst hit was the Lee County area. That's where Al and Theresa's place is. They and their kitty cat are fine. Lets all hope and pray that somehow their place got minimal damage. But I don't know.

Here is the current "Power Outage" map for the state of Florida after hurricane Ian:

Screenshot_20220929-213457_Firefox.jpg

Can keep checking back with PowerOutage.us to keep up with progress being made as things slowly come back online.

I just watched a video the Bill Weir made when he went with Cajun Navy to St James City where Al lived. It was utter devastation and he said most didn't have insurance since it was so expensive. Sorry I don't know how to do links, but I just goggled St James City damage and it came up. Just terrible and prayers are with all of them, Joe

Contacted Rat Rod Al and he is doing good. Closed up his place at St. James City and went inland around Cape Coral where they are now staying, waiting for things to open up and see what happened to his house.

They are not letting anyone in there yet and roads and bridges are washed out.

Al is in good spirits, and knows it is what it is. Wants to get in there so they can plan what needs to be done.

If we find out more will post it up.

Thanks All

Contacted Rat Rod Al and he is doing good. Closed up his place at St. James City and went inland around Cape Coral where they are now staying, waiting for things to open up and see what happened to his house.

They are not letting anyone in there yet and roads and bridges are washed out.

Al is in good spirits, and knows it is what it is. Wants to get in there so they can plan what needs to be done.

If we find out more will post it up.

Thanks All
Thanks for the update sir!

We truly appreciate all your concern and well wishes. Theresa and I are well and safe! We just found out that our house and garage did get flooded but are atill standing. Miraculously our boat and trailers are still in our yard too. This is not bad news, especially considering the devastation all around us. Now we're waiting for the ability and opportunity to get back over and start our repair/ rebuild process. As we get better cell service, we'll post updates. Thanks to you all. You guys are the greatest.

Great to hear from you and you sound "upbeat" considering the circumstances.
Be well and take care!
We truly appreciate all your concern and well wishes. Theresa and I are well and safe! We just found out that our house and garage did get flooded but are atill standing. Miraculously our boat and trailers are still in our yard too. This is not bad news, especially considering the devastation all around us. Now we're waiting for the ability and opportunity to get back over and start our repair/ rebuild process. As we get better cell service, we'll post updates. Thanks to you all. You guys are the greatest.

We got lucky here on the central FL. east coast that the storm lost much of it's energy crossing the state.
The eye went over the house and the sun came out for like 10 minutes in the middle of the downgraded tropical storm.
Been thru much worse.
Prayers for those in West and SW Florida.

Good to hear from you Al, if you want to come to Alabama you more than welcome, Joe

Al,
Glad to hear that you've got something to go back to and work with. Going to be a chore for sure.
I might be headed down there soon to take care of our place in Port Charlotte if we can't get someone to tarp the roof in the next day or two. Small blessing that the weather has been fairly mild and dry since it went through and looks to continue that for a few more days.
Greg

Kitty and I were just looking at the picture posted on Theresa's wall. We're still praying that there's minimal damage from the flooding.

Just got an airrial drone picture of our house. Looks to be all in tact and most all my junk still where I left it, just re arranged ! I'll try to post a picture asp.

-
Back