Prayers Needed

-
Please say a prayer for me as I'm going under the knife this Thursday to remove a damaged disc in my neck that's riding on my spinal cord. Anybody had it done?
I had this done twice 2006 and 2010. First one went well, worst part was very sore throat from where they go through the front and cut nerves and pull windpipe to the side to work on spine and put plates and screws. Took about 11 or 12 weeks to feel good and be able to feel my neck while shaving. Cure all pain and numbness in right arm and hand. Bad thing with this surgery is it limits how far your head turns and puts more stress on disc above and below so then you have problems with them and more plates and screws and limits head movement even more. Second time much worse, can only turn head less than 30 degrees, tough time swallowing food and pills and still alot of neck pain. So if you have pain and numbess in hands and arm I say go for it, but ask doctor what to expect down the road and go in with eyes open. I don't know your age I am 58 going on 88 because I abused myself in my youth watersking and motorcycles and being STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will keep in my prayers hope all goes well. Bill

I had it done last Oct. Best thing I could have done. It wasn't a fun opperation for sure and I had a sore throat sore several days and getting up from bed wasn't easy for several days but within 3 weeks I was out doing minor jobs. Unfortunately I waited too long to get it done and still have some weakness and tingling in my left arm but at least I'm not in excruciating pain all the time. Will be praying for you that all goes well.

Today is the day, Prayers sent for a smooth and perfect repair
and a smooth recovery, this will take time so make sure to have
something to keep your mind busy as possible...
Prayers sent out to the doctors using the wisdom given to them.

Well, the surgery was a success!!!!!!!!! Man, I feel soooooo much better. No more pain shooting down my left arm. I want to thank all who prayed for me. That sore throat is a motherf@#$er! Geez! I can only eat broth or soup because anything cold or too large hurts like hell to swallow but hey, I am much better. Now I just gotta heal up and get back on my Duster. The amazing thing is the doc made an incision about the size of a dime in the front of my neck to remove the damaged disc. I just turned 47 last May and damn, I started to fall apart. I have a new lease on life now. I will get my *** back in shape, finish my car and drive it like I stole it! :burnout: Thanks again fellas. the big guy in the sky was looking out for me.

Glad to hear it went well. I know you've probably already heard this but it's worth repeating, don't jump into doing stuff too fast. You may feel a lot better but your body needs time to heal properly. I guarantee it'll be a temptation to go out and work on the Duster but you don't want to mess up what was just done and have the pain come back. I made that mistake a few yrs. back when I had surgery on my wrist. It felt real good so I went right back to work only to screw it up again and have to have it operated on again. That time it took twice as long to heal.

Do you have to wear a collar or did they put in a plate and screws? when I had mine done last year (I was 47 then also) he put in a steel plate and screws so I didn't have to wear a collar. Man am I glad of that. It's amazing how little the incision is. I can barely see where he did mine.

Yeah I have to wear a collar for a few weeks. The doc put a titanium bracket in to hold things together. I have to admit I'm tempted to go back to work on the car but I won't. I'm hardheaded but not this time. Can't drive for two weeks. It's amazing how I thought I had knee problems but now my knee pain is gone! Right now I'm just gonna kick back watch football, and heal up! I appreciate all the encouraging words.

-
Back