Pre bent line or do it myself?

-
I bent and flared mine myself to save some money. That being said I have several leaks to fix hahaha.

No need for stainless if you run DOT 5 silicone in the system from day one. Most of these original lines rot from the inside out from moisture wicking into the DOT 3 and lack of MTX plus the fact that most of this old stuff is pushing 50 years old or older. My 94 silverado is now 26 years old. Dot 3 fluid system. Every couple years I power bleed it with a mityvac until the fluid comes out clear from all 4 bleeders. I have owned the truck since new. This replenishes the system with new fluid. Honestly I dont think if the system starts off as dot 5 silicone you would need to do any drastic measures. BTW all the lines in my truck are OEM except for the 3 braded flex lines.

I just bought all new SSBC lines for my '70 Swinger, with plans to replace or rebuild all cylinders. My intention was to go with DOT5. Do you agree , or am I spending money needlessly? Thanks, Paul.

Mild steel line is fine. It's worked for almost 100 years. Stainless is a double barrel bastard to bend in comparison. I have always preferred to bend my own. There's always "something" not quite right about the pre-bent lines. Remember, none of these cars were made exactly the same, so there's really no way to make a one size fits all line.

I bought the stainless steel lines. I'm hoping they won't need any major bending. All new components for the brakes. I'm looking into putting discs in the back with my spare A body 8 3/4 I picked up years ago. I think I'm going with an Auburn 3.55 in the 7.41 chunk. I'd like to keep my stock rallye's in 5X4, but I'm learning this won't be easy, or even feasible. Any advice from members is appreciated. Paul.

I'd like to keep my stock rallye's in 5X4, but I'm learning this won't be easy, or even feasible.
If you are assuming that no one makes a 5x4 rear disc kit you might be correct. But more than likely you could have 5x4.5 rotors drilled for 5x4.

Or you could make your own caliper mounting brackets?

I just saw there are wheel adapters available to change my 5X4"s to 5X4 1/2"s, but I seem to remember from the old days that they're a safety issue, and most tracks wont allow them. Could any knowledgeable members steer me right. I apologize for thread hijacking in advance. Paul.

I've never been a wheel adapter fan at all. It's a personal preference more than anything.

-
Back