Preferred Transmission question

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
As not to hijack a current thread, which tranny is more desired say in a 68 340 Dart?
1-The A518, later 46RH (hydraulic)
2-The A500, later 40RH/42RH (hydraulic)
I've often thought about a Gear Vendor for my 833 but also considering auto overdrive as I'm not getting any younger.

Last edited:
Of course I'm sure you know either of those choices will require modification to the torsion bar cross member hoop and I believe some of the floor, although Now sure about that in the later cars. I would think the 500 could be built to handle most any power level but the wildest.

Just a stockish 340 so no crazy hp there. I do tend to beat on my cars occasionally :steering:
I just don't know if I have it in me dice up my original floor.

Just a stockish 340 so no crazy hp there. I do tend to beat on my cars occasionally :steering:
I just don't know if I have it in me dice up my original floor.

I would not cut your car. Try having someone build you an O/D 833 with a cast main case. Then everything is reversible. You keep everything you are used to and all you need is the 3-4 O/D arm and rod.

I have a 833 I installed in an overdrive alum. shell. Not in use. It has the larger front bearing and I had an alum. bellhousing milled to fit. Can you use the OD gear and are 1-3 gears available that would stagger the rpm's more evenly? I know Passon sells a kit but starting at $3475. is steep for me. I don't know what gears are compatible or available.

I have a 833 I installed in an overdrive alum. shell. Not in use. It has the larger front bearing and I had an alum. bellhousing milled to fit. Can you use the OD gear and are 1-3 gears available that would stagger the rpm's more evenly? I know Passon sells a kit but starting at $3475. is steep for me. I don't know what gears are compatible or available.

That would work, I just don't like the aluminum "floating" main housing. The only gears I know of are the Passon set. I have a set, but have not put it together yet. It also uses an 18 spline Hemi style input shaft and gears. So I have no experience running it yet. I have run the standard O/D behind a fairly warm 273 and loved it. I am still running it behind a close to stock 273 Commando and it works great for me. I do swap the O/D gearset into an early cast iron main housing with the small front bearing and countershaft. That way, no special machining and I can run whatever 833 or O/D I want. The O/D is still in the car now. I can't imagine a 340 would have a problem, unless there was too much wheel spin in 1st gear. I don't power shift into O/D. By then you are really flying.

Never tried putting a 42/46RH in an A body.... I've done seven 42/46RH's in E bodies and haven't cut the car on a single one... I was told it wasn't possible or I'd have the trans/driveshaft angle jacked.... Well that hasn't been the case... I trim the transmission case removing excess tabs and webbing in places where it interferes with the body then build a new mount....

If I were looking at doing a swap today I would probably use the 42RH due the the gear ratios and less parasitic loss...

i'm slowly rowing in that direction and my choice is purt much made up to go with a 500/42RH

currently running 727, but figured that the "smaller trans" offered a better advantage with lower gear set and less parasitic loss, weight and size.

i've resigned myself to the fact that i'm going to have to "custom build" the trans to my spec and that there will be some scavenging of parts from other things and stuffs, but ultimately it's the same amount of work, time & price to get installed between the two units-- unless somebody has proof positive otherwise, that is.

however if a 518/46 presented itself it's not like i'd kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

Went Auto circa 1979 in a 69 Swinger 340 4 speed. Prices then as now were difficult. Scattershield on Mopar $ 140 vs. Chevy at $ 99.
Add clutch components and bidabong. Hard at $ 3.50 an hour and new job starting at $ 4.26.
Had to bum rides for 2 months to get a couple paychecks and parts.

Silver Sport from what I've seen is an option with kit, compact, and tweaking stall etc.makes sense for my application if I could.
My 904 rebuild converter overhaul with proper stall for hotter 340 was $2600 give take with no OD etc.

I'm going 46RH just because I'll be able re-use my current 727 converter.

Does the 42RH come in a non lock-up version?
No... But why would you choose not to use a lock up convertor? The reason we use to avoid them was the poor way they were controlled... They would lock & unlock constantly at certain critical speeds... If controlled properly a lock up convertor allows you to use a relatively loose convertor (In my case 3200 rpm) but at the flip of a switch the convertor is locked eliminating the heat/loss of MPH/loss of fuel economy.....

Never tried putting a 42/46RH in an A body.... I've done seven 42/46RH's in E bodies and haven't cut the car on a single one... I was told it wasn't possible or I'd have the trans/driveshaft angle jacked.... Well that hasn't been the case... I trim the transmission case removing excess tabs and webbing in places where it interferes with the body then build a new mount....

If I were looking at doing a swap today I would probably use the 42RH due the the gear ratios and less parasitic loss...

The A body requires a minor dent or two in the floor and a modded crossmember upper hoop and trans mount.
Been running the 42RH with OD and lockup both for years in my Dart.
The spool type trans mount makes it pretty easy.

A500OD.jpeg

crossmember.jpeg

I'm going 46RH just because I'll be able re-use my current 727 converter.

Does the 42RH come in a non lock-up version?
can you use a 727 converter in a 46? i thought that there was compatibility issues between the LU & non?

If he has a non LU 46 yes....
thank you for that nugget of info. i always seem to forget that there are basically 31 flavors of LU, NLU, OD, NOD, flat drive, square peg, round hole, left handed, eenie meeine miney mo, etx

can you use a 727 converter in a 46? i thought that there was compatibility issues between the LU & non?
@1WildRT is right. I purposely sought out a non-lockup 46RH so I can use my current converter, but have an extra gear. They aren't the easiest to find and cores where I'm at when you can find one are pricey.

When you do this please post.
i'll be sure to document the process. it's not going to be anything ground breaking, but i'll be sure to cover all the minutiae.

however with the pace at which my projects get done, somebody will have sorted out how to get a newer and better trans in and my flim-flammery of what to put in will start all over again! it's one of those: shoe cobbler's kids always go shoeless.

-
Back