Prepping a motor for paint.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
I need to repaint and detail the 340 before I drop it in to the car but it has 2 bad paint jobs on it. Right now its an assembled long block (intake, exhaust,valve covers are off). Does anyone have any tips for removing the old layers of paint without striping it to a bare block ? Can I hose it down with paint stripper with out it eating the oil pan, timing cover gaskets ?

AdamR said:
I need to repaint and detail the 340 before I drop it in to the car but it has 2 bad paint jobs on it. Right now its an assembled long block (intake, exhaust,valve covers are off). Does anyone have any tips for removing the old layers of paint without striping it to a bare block ? Can I hose it down with paint stripper with out it eating the oil pan, timing cover gaskets ?
ive done it before spray it on away from the gasket seams and have a bucket of water with a rag to wipe i didnt use a hose, it worked for me,

I Removed The Paint Off Mine With Brake Clean, Soke It Let It Set Stiff Brush, Repeat. If Its Rattle Can It Should Ork

Anyway you do it, I would replace the gaskets while the motor is out. Just seems like a good investment while it's easy to get at. Cause with my luck, 48 hours after I twisted the last wrench, there would be a puddle on the floor of my garage. :banghead:

I used a rotary wire-brush in an air drill and just ground away at every nook-n-cranny followed by a generous application of brake cleaner. Then I scrubbed it clean with soap & water and let it air dry for 2 days. Wiped it down with laquer thinner and I primed & painted it. Came out nice....

1966 dart wagon said:
good topic and perfect timing i was going to do this and was about to start a post :thumbup:

agreed! I am going to be doing the same thing also. Do you guys use primer first? What kind of paint do you use and where do you buy it? (sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread!)

I hosed the motor down with 3 cans of brake clean. It took a good amount off. Ive been scaping and wire wheeling at it when I can since. I all ways have use Plasticoat paint from a spray can. Last time I used POR15 but I wasnt very impressed.

ThogtheCaveman said:
agreed! I am going to be doing the same thing also. Do you guys use primer first? What kind of paint do you use and where do you buy it? (sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread!)
when I did mine I used Dupont Nason epoxy primer and had the dealer mix up a pint of Dupont centari, that is a single stage paint(acrylic enamel) :)

-
Back