Prepping Bumper for paint.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Got a bumper I want to paint body color. Thinking hit it with 80g to knock it down then 180 before priming. This be ok or do I need to strip the chrome totally off?

Unless you have some massive rough areas don't use 80. You will sand scratch the hell out of it. Are you going to scuff and paint? What's your plans? Fairly rough areas I'd hit with 180 but other than that 320 then 400. Use a self etching primer then paint.

Really 300 for primer? Thought primer needed more bite then that. Not sure condition of bumper havent gotten it out of wrapping. But painting it was always in the works.

Going to do the same thing and what I found was 60 grit then 360 grit to.Although that seems a bit aggressive you have to get deep cuts to get the primer to hold to chrome.I plan the use high build primer after the self etching primer then sand smooth before paint to make sure all the scratches are covered.I'm no expert that's just what I found by searching around and it seemed to be a pretty common technique.

I used 80 grit flapper wheel on a grinder and lightly went over the bumpers. Then sprayed 2 coats of epoxy primer then 2 coats of 2k high build and sanded smooth. I also used the flapper wheel to knock down the welds from where I welded in my bumper bolts and filled in the slots for the bumper jack. so the bumpers are now smooth.

The best way is to have a plater put it in the prep tank and remove the chrome down to the base metal. I believe that is copper. Have it powder coated if you want it to last and look good. Otherwise just just sand the crap out of it and use a self etching paint. Mine we done 6 years ago

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 177
Good luck with the 60 grit. You are going to score the **** out of it then have to remetal finish it again. Do it with 120 with a DA a flap wheel is going to F-bomb it up. Good luck.

You're painting a NEW bumper?

Can't find an old one?

I used 80 grit flapper wheel on a grinder and lightly went over the bumpers. Then sprayed 2 coats of epoxy primer then 2 coats of 2k high build and sanded smooth. I also used the flapper wheel to knock down the welds from where I welded in my bumper bolts and filled in the slots for the bumper jack. so the bumpers are now smooth.

similar to above

at the shop we always stripped the chrome off completely, 40-60grit, then smoothed to 80 before using dtm (direct to metal ) type epoxy primer. Of course any welding (smoothing bolt holes, welding studs, etc) would happen before the primer.

after its primered, bondo as needed, and some nice 2k primer to smooth out before paint.

It is an old bumper. The chrome is in good shape some not so in the other. It was always in the cards to paint the bumper I liked the look. Im thinking 120 to 180 prime sand color.

-
Back