prepping car for long wait...

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, or at least show just how green I am on cars.

But I decided to do all the body work while all the interior is out. But I need to pull the engine and averything else and it won't run for probably 2 years now. Till I get all the body work done and interior redone the engine and accessories are going to be sitting in the corner somewhere.

Do I need to drain all fliuds, or keep them in? Is there something I should do to it to make sure the engine is stored properly?

thanks!

I am not too sure on this one and how to store it. But it would definately be better to keep the fluids in it unless you were going to disassemble it for storage. But keeping it together and lubricated sounds a good route. Maybe someone else will have some different ideas! Good luck!!

Put the engine on an engine stand. Drain the coolant, pull the plugs, and squirt about a tablespoon full of Marvel Mystery Oil in each plug hole. Turn the engine over by hand until oil quits shooting out the plug holes. Put the plugs back in. Pull the rocker covers and loosen the rocker shaft hold down bolts until all tension is off the pushrods and all the valves are closed. Put the valve covers back on, install an air cleaner, wrap the engine in plastic bags, and roll it into a corner. When you need her again she'll be ready to go if you remember to tighten the rocker shaft hold down bolts. Draining the oil is up to you. All the oil will be in the pan during storage and not much benefit to the bearings. Hope this helps.

Before you pull the motor (if it can still be run) warm it up and change the oil and filter. That way you flush out a lot of combustion by-product acids and that is what causes sludge and eats bearings. I would leave the clean oil in it if possible. That way, as an added bonus, you can occasionally pull the plugs, rotate the engine over slowly and prime the motor thru the oil pump.

I take them an fill them up with oil . you no; open the filler cap an pour it till it wont hold any more . pull the valve covers off take the rocker assembly lose no sense in the valve springs being used while being stored other than that rap it up so the critters dont get in. ive got 5 motors like that now. i build wood stands put some casters on them so i can clean around them easy .i took one out for my 68 project no rust on the inside any where we will see how it runs in a few weeks .pour some of that stable stuff in the carb it does work .best of luck to ya

-
Back