Prepping for Vinyl top Pissing me off

-

iw378

Reaction score
Apparently my car had a vinyl top on it when it was born. I love the look of them and am going to put one back on. I got a nice set of trim from member rockey js. Anyways whoever did the body work last put screws in the holes and welded them so I was on my back in the trunk cutting off the screws and drilling from the inside out to get the holes. it was a real *****. couldn't do it like that on the sides under the quarter window, no room for the drill.
I bolted the trim to the holes I had on the decklid cowling and just traced out the trim on the paint with a sharpie
jqfp.jpg

The clips I got are a pain in the ***. the nuts dont really want to get a bite and thread onto the stud. I'm going to run a die nut and tread them before hand.
Anyways since I do not have anything to go off of is this the proper way to put the clip in the trim ??
6k16.jpg

Or does the tang on the left side of the clip point to the right ?
Any help appreciated

Attachments

• Pic Help (Small).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Pic Help 001 (Small).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 231
is that stud threaded or smooth? kinda hard to tell from the pic. Also we had to make the holes when we did a full 1/4 panel on a 70 charger. Easiest thing to do is just like you did, make a line and measure up, then drill the holes.

the studs are smooth, no threads. the nuts that came with them are made of stamped sheet metal and would not bite into the stud and make their own threads. do I have the clip properly placed or do I need to have the locking finger bent the other way ??

the tang just keeps it from rattling. most of these clips have 1/4-20 or 10-32 studs. i would find a set that does and install will be easier

-
Back