prepping magnum

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
Picked up a 5.9 magnum today from a rear end damaged 99 Durango.

Are there any seals or gaskets that should be replaced before I put the engine in?

JMO, why not take the time replace all the seals? Any of those seals will be a bigger pita once its in the car.

Looks like it could use at least one new valve cover gasket! ;)

You'll need to change the oil pan over to a center sump, I believe the Durango's were rear sump and that won't fit our cars, so you'll need a new oil pan gasket. If you're changing the intake over to a carb you'll obviously need intake gaskets too. The Durango exhaust manifolds may not work with your set up either (the driver's side won't clear power steering IIRC), so a set of exhaust manifold gaskets are probably in order.

How many miles are on it? If its over 50k, I would probably change out the timing chain for a nice double roller now while its out of the car, just easier than doing it later.

So, if you do all of that - intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, timing cover and water pump gaskets, oil pan gasket. And that valve cover gasket. So really, the only gaskets you're probably not changing are the head gaskets.

Hey 72bluNblu, good meeting you today. I have a crosswind intake, still need to get a holley carb (trying to figure out how many CMFs I want) and a cam (trying to figure out what cam to go with)

Anyway. Timing chain is a good idea. What about oil seals? Are they known for going bad? May even get a valve job.

Also trying to decide between v belts and serpentine belts. So many decisions. But I want a street car first and foremost.

So what's a good double roller chain brand that I should look into?

Thanks
Hillbillybuddha

I can't confirm this(i went v-belt), but i've read that the crosswind intake won't work w/ the serpentine belts.

It has to be the Edelbrock Air Gap made specifically for the Magnum to work with the factory serpentine setup. Or you can fabricate something.

I would recommend doing the rear main seal on any engine that you don't know the history of, while it's out of the car. Much easier to do, see, and install that way.

Hey 72bluNblu, good meeting you today. I have a crosswind intake, still need to get a holley carb (trying to figure out how many CMFs I want) and a cam (trying to figure out what cam to go with)

Anyway. Timing chain is a good idea. What about oil seals? Are they known for going bad? May even get a valve job.

Also trying to decide between v belts and serpentine belts. So many decisions. But I want a street car first and foremost.

So what's a good double roller chain brand that I should look into?

Thanks
Hillbillybuddha

Nice meeting you as well! :D

I will be the first to tell you that I'm not much of a Magnum engine expert. If you're going to get as far as changing the cam you'll at least need to change out the valvesprings, so it might not be a horrible idea to get the heads checked for cracks and freshened up. That will also give you an idea what the cylinders look like. Be careful though, its a slippery slope once you start tearing into things like that. Next thing you know you're rebuilding the whole thing and trying to pull 500 hp out of it. ;)

Cams for the magnums are a little tricky, they're rollers to begin with and can be pretty expensive. I know Hughes has a line of reground cams for the Magnum engines, but since you're going with a carb and ditching the ECU I'd call and talk to them before I ordered anything. Better bet might be to contact MRL Performance, he's a member here and really knows his stuff. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction if you let him know what your plans are for the engine.

I can't confirm this(i went v-belt), but i've read that the crosswind intake won't work w/ the serpentine belts.

That is 100% correct & the Edelbrock won't work with v belt setup

Even to use the Eddy with the serpentine you have to modify it (less modification than the Mopar intakes)

The crosswinds is a direct bolt on NO MODS Necessary for 78-down with A/C

I own both & use them

I've installed Magnums in cars & trucks

Here's my 97 360 in my 84 RamCharger
SAM_3659_zpsf5d9919e.jpg

360 using Mag heads & Crosswinds for the wagon
SAM_3674_zps452ad6e5.jpg

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify then, crosswind with a/c and v belt setup on a magnum 5.9 should work?

Also, I've running into different part numbers when trying to find a good double roller timing chain / gear set up. Is there a difference with timing chains between the LA engines and the Magnum engines or after they interchangeable?

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify then, crosswind with a/c and v belt setup on a magnum 5.9 should work?

Also, I've running into different part numbers when trying to find a good double roller timing chain / gear set up. Is there a difference with timing chains between the LA engines and the Magnum engines or after they interchangeable?

They should be interchangable. There was never a "magnum" double roller. Only double rollers for LA engines.

I went with an oem replacement, but I expect my engine to go pop long before the chain stretches.

-
Back