Prestone that leaks behind the engine ?

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
My little 318 is loosing prestone behind the engine...and it finishes its run were the bellhousing of the tranny is...leaks right in the Middle of the trans and drips on the floor... but its nowhere on the v shape of the block..no freeze plug its litteraly in the back , all the way behind the intake and distributor.. , can it be the freeze plugs in the heads ? Could it be from the iron intake too ? A garage even put a leak tester and nobody is able to find this rear engine leak...any idea, never had such à thing and its even worst when it runs , but even leaks when its not running...

Last edited:
Core plugs in the rear of the block.
1694536746319.png

They did it( pressure test) at the garage then they fixed my exhaust but nobody was able to find the leak....

Last edited:
They did it at the garage shen the fixer my exhaust but nobody was able to find the leak....

Man that’s sad.
If everything on the outside of the block is dry, then it’s the rear core plugs.
Trans comes out.

IF everything is for sure dry.

Not “I think everything is dry”

If that's what it ends up being, go back with brass freeze plugs. They don't rust.

I had it happen to me. Saw a drop of green dripping from the bell housing and said, ****. Pulled the trans and replaced both plugs.

I had the same thing happen to a 1971 small block car I had years ago. The car spent its life in California before making its way to NC in 2003. Not a spot of rust anywhere.......except the freeze plugs, because they never put antifreeze in it in CA.

I took the motor out instead of the transmission. That way, I could get to every freeze plug in it and easily remove them. I pressure washed all the water jackets out and installed new brass freeze plugs. I had the radiator flushed out and they rodded the cores out too. No more problems and the car even ran cooler. It's not a hard job....just time consuming. Good luck to you!

-
Back