Preval paint sprayer, anybody tried one?

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I'm considering doing a low budget, somewhat temporary paint job on my Dart, just to get it all one color again. I'm going to seriously consider using this system: http://www.tcpglobal.com/Search.html?query=Prevel#/?_=1&q=preval&page=1

Have you seen the results from one of these? I can't seem to find much info on them; how many power unit refills would it take to do an entire car? I want to try a satin paint, something in the blue tint.

I have painted before, I did two different cars and they turned out nice. I used traditional equipment on them though. Back when Imron was a popular single stage paint.

Opinions? Any experience with this? Could it give better results than an aerosol paint job?

Thanks

Mark

Technically it is an aerosol, just gives you the ability to mix your own paint. They spray good, but just like any other rattle can. A cheap hvlp can be made to work great, just takes practice. Fwiw you'll spend more on the preval cans than just paint and a paint gun. If you're worried about your compressor keeping up, just do one panel at a time.

Edit: sorry I didn't read your whole post, I'm sure you've got it covered.

I'm considering doing a low budget, somewhat temporary paint job on my Dart, just to get it all one color again. I'm going to seriously consider using this system: http://www.tcpglobal.com/Search.html?query=Prevel#/?_=1&q=preval&page=1

Have you seen the results from one of these? I can't seem to find much info on them; how many power unit refills would it take to do an entire car? I want to try a satin paint, something in the blue tint.

I have painted before, I did two different cars and they turned out nice. I used traditional equipment on them though. Back when Imron was a popular single stage paint.

Opinions? Any experience with this? Could it give better results than an aerosol paint job? TCP Global,has treated me well. What's your budget,and expectations?....

Thanks

Mark
They are great,for small projects (dash panel,door hinges,e.t.c.). The pressure charge cans,freeze quickly on bigger jobs. Those refills cost like 4-5 dollars a whack.Personal experience, here.

"When I was young" (mid 70's) we used to sell those at my Dad's parts store. If you can't find a color in aerosol that you want, you can mix custom colors, obviously

I would think you'd spend a LOT of money on "reloads" to do a whole car.

You'll get a LOT of snobbery about "what spray guns" do and don't work, but at the caliber you seem to be at-----and which I would be as well if you tried this, most any spray gun and compressor THAT IS IN good working order would probably give you better results.

There's quite a few sources for import guns nowadays.......................

"When I was young" (mid 70's) we used to sell those at my Dad's parts store. If you can't find a color in aerosol that you want, you can mix custom colors, obviously

I would think you'd spend a LOT of money on "reloads" to do a whole car.

You'll get a LOT of snobbery about "what spray guns" do and don't work, but at the caliber you seem to be at-----and which I would be as well if you tried this, most any spray gun and compressor THAT IS IN good working order would probably give you better results.

There's quite a few sources for import guns nowadays.......................

Not at all,from me anyway. For a beginning (or coming back.) hobby paint guy gun,the Harbor Freight purple is a good learning tool. Single stage,cheap paints ,yes. Triple stage base /mid base(usually a candy,or heavy mica base/clear. No...... Body men/painters earn their money,some of us ,cannot/will not spend that cash....

I've used them on small jobs like a couple engine bays and my rollbar, but I've found them to be very inconsistent and somewhat of a PITA at times. I used 5 refills just to do an engine bay so it would get rather expensive doing a whole car. IMO it would not be a good idea. Between the expense and inconsistency I don't think you would be pleased with the results. Not to mention you wouldn't be able to use your index finger for a week after mashing the spray head down a thousand times.

Used 2-3 refills for Engine bay, but I used metallic paint and it eventually clogs the nozzle, but came out nice. I also did door jambs and trunk gutter. I will use them for all small jobs like that.

I've used them at a job I used to work at before I got laid off about 5-6 years ago.....

We used them for truck loading touch up.... I was the painter for HMC Corp. That made logging equipment and the machines, once loaded onto a flat bed truck AND scratches, nicks, you name it from handling, were sprayed over with a Preval sprayer with the colors I used Green and Yellow both custom HMC colors but anyway, they work GREAT, and as mentioned $5 - $6 bucks a whack for the refill sprayer. they won't do well on "large" jobs as the propellant freezes, BUT allow it to sit a few minutes at a time in the warm sun, and it will come back alive!

You mix your own paint, keep it thin, the more thin you can handle for spraying LIGHT coats and prevent any sags or runs, the better, the sprayer will cog if the paint isn't thin, OR is difficult to lift from the bottle to the nozzle! Which also pre-maturely uses up the propellant too!

Take a few passes with one with just thinner in it and spray a trash can outside or something to get the "feel". they do however work well! I keep a couple at home for just the case in need of one!

-
Back