previous owner not smart. removing cured insulation foam

-

rosswd2

Reaction score
Hello. i have a 67 cuda notchback. im satisfied with my progress getting the car in shape so far. I cant seem to remove cured insulation from the engine bay? Why a previous owner did this boggles my mind. I tryed prying and grinding but its hard as rock. would heat help remove it?

Attachments

• 20130214_140457.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 402
Im wondering if its bondo as well?? No offense, but that looks like hell...wth was the prev owner thinking??

Borrow or rent a sandblaster

It does look much like bondo. regardless I use 24 grit rollock disks in a right angle air drill. I have used them in regular drills. the small 2 inch disk cuts right through rock hard filler.

a rotating grinding disk will tend to work best. I have a heavy wire wheel that I put on my 4 inch makita grinder, it to hogs out filler and what ever els might be in the way quite well. take your time experriment. Kevin:coffee2:

A wire wheel will work really well but it makes a huge mess. I have to agree with everyone I think it looks like bondo.

the other side is in great shape. Ill try the stripper first.

Attachments

• 20130214_140600.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 349
The PO of my '68 'Cuda fastback filled the area between the trunk extensions and the quarters with spray foam insullation. What an idiot. I haven't gotten to that part yet, but it will certainly suck when I do. I'll know what I need to do once I grind down the lower quarters to determine the status of the steel.

Sure looks like bondo, and a **** load at that. I see a plate riveted over the blowermotor hole, so my guess is they tried to smooth over it and failed miserably

As others have said it looks like bondo. If you don't want a dusty mess maybe a needle scaler would work well? I would try it on a scrap piece of sheet metal first to make sure you're not going to damage the firewall.

Heat the back side with a torch and pry it off with a scraper. Go easy with the
heat or you can warp the metal. It won't take much. A heat gun will work
a bit safer but take longer.

-
Back