primer issues. HELP !!!!

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
I started to prime the Duster this afternoon but had a major malfunction. I started with 2 coats of epoxy, waited 30 minutes (as per the tech sheet) and started to lay down the 2K (same manufacturer) First coat went fine. Second coat ended in disaster.

After laying down the second coat I noticed the the high build was shrinking and cracking on top of the Epoxy. I mixed the high build 4-1-1 as per the instruction. Im not sure if the problem was the temp was to cold, using the wrong reducer ( med for 65* to 75* , out side temp is probably right about 60*) or if I didnt wait long enough before spraying the High Build over the Epoxy.

The tech sheet said 30 minutes at 70* to apply primer over it (wet on wet)

No the million dollar question. Can I let the high build dry and just sand it off and re shoot or do I need to sand all the epoxy off again ?

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 391
  • 019.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 375
I would say you could sand off the high build primer in a couple days after it has cured a bit. After I epoxed my car, I waited 72 hours before I applied the high build primer, but I lightly scuffed the epoxy first with a scotch brite pad. Are you using PPG products?

it appears the epoxy wasnt completely dry. i think you needed an hour or better due to your temperature. i shot a medium reducer mix in 58* without any problems. it also could have been too heavy a coat. i would take it almost all the way down because the seperation looks to be down to the metal.

im not a professional , but ive done a few....

i would let it dry and rip it off...

its all Transtar, which is what I used when I was working at the body shop. Ive never used the Epoxy before but Ive used this high build 100s of times with no issues. Im sure sure it was my error.

were it seperated is only down to the epoxy, not to metal.

the high build 2k is good stuff. you could probably get away with sanding just until it is smooth again and try again. by then the epoxy will have had time to dry.

that sucks man, but nothing a little sanding cant fix

I'v never tried transstar products........just martin senior ( napa) and PPG in the last few years. I used High build "eliminator" from Eastwood on my duster over PPG epoxy with good results.

The good news is that the trunk lid, roof and passenger side 1/4 are fine. LOL

Im pretty sure my issue was spraying it wet on wet and not giving it enough flash time

If you followed the directions, and that happened it would sound like it's the directions/product fault. I'd contact them and tell them exactly what happened and see if transtar would clarify the directions and possibly offer a remedy of the problem.

Im going to have to say it didnt have enough time to flash off the solvents at that temperature.

sucks having to redo work.

The way I am doing my duster is doing all my body work, laying down primer,sand,primer,sand,then using a 2 part epoxy primer/sealer ,then paint.

Could be numerous things. Most likely too much or bad hardener. Even with wet on wet systems I like to give the epoxy 24 hours, hit it with a maroon scotchbrite then shoot the filler primer. Just get your 180 out and take it back to the epoxy and respray after you pick up some fresh hardener. This stuff does have a shelf life too.

Don't over apply the product either. 50% overlap while spraying a 10 inch pattern and 10 inches away from the panel being sprayed. When its colder you need to extend the flash time nearly double.

I agree with Cuudak, this looks like a hardener issue to me too... a lot of times they sit on the shelf for too long and you can have this issue... usually happens when you have already opened the can and left it for too long. Also with epoxy you really need to let it cure, epoxy is SLOW... let it set overnight for sure, then you can hit it with your filler primer. Check out the product sheet, the min flash time is probably 30... and the resand time is probably 72 hours.

Tech sheet said 10 minutes between coats, 30 minutes to top with high build. 72 minutes max re-coat time.

Should I spray another coat of epoxy once I get this stuff off ? Luckily I noticed the problem before I finished the second coat so I dont have to much to DA off.

I showed it to the owner of the body shop next door, He said hes pretty sure that the epoxy just wasnt dry enough to top coat. I bought a new quart of hardener just in case.

I'll DA it with some 180 and try again.

It was a case of not enough flash. No question. Your neighbor is absolutely correct. I don't envy you the sanding. I finished my hood after the hood scoop was installed and I walked by and a drip of reduced dropped onto the hood. I wiped it off immediately but it was too late. That epoxy was a bear to sand. I don't envy you the work!

Which Transtar primer are you using? I just used Transtar Euro Classic Primer DTM on the scamp and i dont think the mix was 4-1-1. I think it was 4-1. But at $20 a quart its good stuff for the money.

Once they took the lead out of epoxy primers they dry very slow. I would wait at least over night to top coat it. I would start over again. Your paint job starts from the ground up and if your not sure start over. Wipe it all back off with thinner.

Which Transtar primer are you using? I just used Transtar Euro Classic Primer DTM on the scamp and i dont think the mix was 4-1-1. I think it was 4-1. But at $20 a quart its good stuff for the money.

quick prime. Its 4:1 or 4:1:1 is you reduce it. I like to use the reducer as it makes it spray better.

it appears the epoxy wasnt completely dry. i think you needed an hour or better due to your temperature. i shot a medium reducer mix in 58* without any problems. it also could have been too heavy a coat. i would take it almost all the way down because the seperation looks to be down to the metal.

im not a professional , but ive done a few....

i would let it dry and rip it off...

x2

but before that i would call the mfg- it sounds like you followed their wet on wet directions, the slightly lower temps shouldn't matter. You might at least get you materials back

you can try....but odds are they wont do anything. that's like contacting pillsbury because your cookies didn't come out right lol. you can say you followed the directions to a T and they would probably just blame it on humidity or your oven HAHA

-
Back