Primer over bare metal?

-

dust

B5PistolGrip.com
Reaction score
After stripping the paint, is it now the common practice to use epoxy primer instead of self etching primer?

I've heard that you use epoxy on bare metal now so that you can work on the part after stripping.

After stripping the paint, is it now the common practice to use epoxy primer instead of self etching primer?

I've heard that you use epoxy on bare metal now so that you can work on the part after stripping.

Yes, that's what I was taught in a tech school class I recently took. You actually seal the bare metal with a reduced coat of epoxy. You can then use body filler on top of the epoxy primer.

Though epoxy is more expensive I really think it's the way to go on a long term project - mostly for it's protective properties.

In my years of painting, its better to do any body work on bare metal,then etch-prime for corrosion purposes,and then epoxy prime. At least thats how we learned at Wyo-Tech years ago.

good replys in the day we used red oxide etching primer.. Ford emmm had the best stuff, then when finished use a filler primer etc to finish. Then depends on paint use the primer for that paint...

at the shop i work at we would use epoxy, coat it ASAP so no surface rust appears.

Even if it is bare metal cover it (if you cant coat it right away) with a sheet/car cover, it will prevent moisture from just settling on the metal.

We used etch at school worked good, but we just choose to use epoxy instead, thats what i'd use

-
Back