Primer what to use

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I plan to do as much of my car as I can. What primer are do you recommend after I get it stripped down and panels patched. I need something with good filling properties. While I may not top coat myself but I plan to replace my panels and get it stripped down.

Ive heard there are good primers out there you can use to lay down a base and then do the body work over.

Was looking at some of this stuff would this do what I need it to do http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tamc...NICE-/260651305552?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools

First, the disclaimer...............I am no expert, but I have researched the issue and am following the results of this investigation on my own project.

I think the product illustrated in your link is actually a primer/surfacer. This is used on top of a good primer base because of its high-build properties to fill in minor imperfections in the substrate. I think what you will want to use is a good, quality, 2K epoxy primer as the first coat that goes over your raw surface. These products are formulated so that you can apply your fillers over them without future problems. Unlike most of the spray bomb primer products, the epoxy primer will also protect the surface from the elements if you are forced to leave your project outside while you are working on it.

epoxy over bare non-rusted clean metal, do your body work on top of the epoxy using 80-150-220 grit paper, then blow on some good high-build primer and block it out using 320 then 500 or 600 (repeat if necessary to remove deeper sanding scratches). then it should be ready for a sealer and top coat of choice.

as gerahead said, use 2K products, in my opinion 1k products (including rattle cans) are not anywhere near as good as a catalyzed/activated material.

I have used some of the summit racing brand primers and in my opinion they are really not bad, not anywhere near as bad as some of the junk they sell in paint stores out here in CA.

I use PPG's NCP 270/271. It's a straight to bare metal primer surfacer. Excellent filling characteristics, especially unreduced, and corrosion resistant. Since PPG brought this to the market I've stopped buying epoxy and adapted my technique to use this instead.

So my plan is to get the front end all tore down and cleaned and primered. Since I will be doing the K frame install and such. What primer should I use?

most of my car is spray paint. i use self etching, filler, than sealer and paint. on patches i use cold galv. in the future when the money is right ill be stripping it all back down and doing it right.

Ok whats a self etching primer? I know nothing about paint but willing to learn. I want to do the engine bay, inside fenders and header panel. I plan to strip clean and primer it for paint.

I would avoid doing bodywork over epoxy. It's the new "craze" but in my opinion it costs more, takes longer, and makes more work for you with no change in end results. Epoxy sands like crap and all it will do is create the above problems. I also have used NCP 270-271 PPG primer for years and its a great primer. You can put it directly on bare metal and is a great corrosion resistant primer as well as having excellent filling properties.

Ok whats a self etching primer? I know nothing about paint but willing to learn. I want to do the engine bay, inside fenders and header panel. I plan to strip clean and primer it for paint.
it the bare metal first step in priming. at least for rattle can it is.

-
Back