Priming question?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
O.k. On Wednesday I thought I was going to start my car, so I primed the engine. Well, it ended up that I didn't try to start it.

Thursday, I primed it again.... Well I didn't start it that day either.

Today I primed the engine, and I did try to start it. It didn't start, no fuel to carb.

Now if I fix my fuel issue and I try to start it again tomorrow, do I have to pull the distributor and prime it yet again??? I know it least turns over...

Thanks!

My opinion is you're good if it's been only a day or so. If it's a brand new motor, though, I wouldn't want to mess with having to do anything over again, I'd bite the bullet and prime it again ... cheap insurance.

I agree. I was the same way with my fresh build. It kept giving me problems and finally got it started on the third day, primed it every time. Just to be safe I suppose. Good luck

So every day I try to start the engine, I have to pull the distributor, take off the fan, and prime, find TDC all over again?? There isn't a easier way to go about this??
I understand I should be cautious, and your right... but geez??

Take off the fan?

What are you doing man!

Pull the cap,get the rotor pointing at 1,your done!

If you used, Lucas assembly lube, or anything like that- that stuff is still on everything, as you still don't have the oil pressure to clean it out.
I let a 340 sit for 22 years, without ever turning it over.
Primed it and started it 6 months ago; 47 lbs @ 2000 rpm, 24@ idle, 60 @ 4000. Even had to pull the pan, to replace a broke piston, that I didn't know was broken, until I pulled a head, after all this running it, due to head needed intake helicoils. Bearings were good.
It all depends on how you put it together.
Get that oil pump intermediate shaft in there, and fire it up. If it goes south, it would have anyhow; not due to you forgetting the main part of the engine.
Don't take me wrong; I've made mistakes and cost myself. You just have to turn the key-watch pressure and temp for 20 minutes, then check oil for particles, and then chill- beer time.

340sixpack- I don't know what I'm doing! Your going to make me cry! :(

Don't I have to find TDC everytime I prime the pump so I can align with the rotor with the #1 cylinder? That is why I'd take off the fan, to rotate the crank to find TDC again.

pull your #1 plug,get the piston to tdc,use a screw driver to feel for it,get your dizzy on #1, prime it,reverse precedure,piston on 1,your dizzy should drop in on 1.Jog it with your starter carefuly if you can.Is your fan that close to your lower pulley?

Dont cry,its just mechanics!Live and learn buddy!Im with ya!

well, it's not that the fan that close to my lower pulley. I just thought I had to take off the fan, to get at the crank so I could turn it it to TDC.

Your just saying to use the starter to find it??

At least I know the starter works :)

I use a $10 switch on the solenoid so i can see where the dampner is.Im terrible at this e-net stuff so i hope im explaining this ok.:smile:

Yes, you are. It's more me than you!

Does the switch just go on the positive and negative on the solenoid?

Maybe you can just touch two wires together? :D

Positive post,negative anywhere theres a close ground,master cylinder nut works and is secure away from your positive.

You can't reach down, and put a ratchet on the crank pulley?
Remote starter from walmart; pos to big relay, neg to any ground, key off. turn the balancer to 0.
drop in the intermediate shaft, try to get it pointing at 5 o'clock, standing in front (the slot of the intermediate ) But it doesn't matter, you can move plug wires later. you might have to put the prime shaft back in the pump, and turn it a little. The shaft turns on the cam gear, as it seats.
Drop in the dist,with rotor pointing at #1 on the cap, and tighten to where you can still turn it.
If you haven't pulled the left valve cover to check #1 rockers, for intake closing, before you cranked it to TDC(0); you are good, or 180 out.
Try it now.

you're fine.

Next time just pour a lil oil into the pump while rotating it in your hand, then stick it on.
As long as you have recent film in it, it will draw instantly.

Finding TDC made easy. Remove #1 plug. Get a paper towel wad it up and screw it into the spark plug hole or stick your finger over the hole not in it but that scares me every time. Use a screwdriver across the starter solinoid terminals on the wheel well next to the battery (big red wire and brown wire. Just bump it when the paper towel comes flying out you are there. you may have to back up the crank a little but you can put a socket on the crank from under the car without removing anything.

-
Back