priming the oil pump

-
CWC is the company that casts cam cores for pretty much every cam company.. don't know the rest of it.

any thoughts if I remove the head bolt that oil flows around on the driver's side and crank it to see if any oil comes out? If not, shouldn't that tell me there's an internal problem, most likely the cam bearing?

any thoughts if I remove the head bolt that oil flows around on the driver's side and crank it to see if any oil comes out? If not, shouldn't that tell me there's an internal problem, most likely the cam bearing?
You could do that, but it would be best to take all the spark plugs out so the motor doesn't build any compression while that head bolt is out. I don't know if it would matter with one head bolt being out, but it ain't worth the chance when it will take 5 minutes to get the plugs out. If it does pump oil out that hole, be sure to get the oil back out of the head bolt hole in the block before you torque the bolt back. While the bolt is out, make sure it is a tapered bolt so the oil can get by it and into the hole in the head where it sends it to the rocker stand. If it's an aftermarket head bolt, it may not have a taper like the factory bolts for those 2 holes did.

Ahh thanks for the advice, now that you say that, I took the bolt out the other day and I don't think it was tapered! Thank you!

I run studs with my X heads, no issue with oiling. To the original poster, you are pretty lucky. I know t doesn’t feel that way, but you are. Pull it all apart, clean everything. You have a bunch of issues that could have really hurt something that you now can fix. Check everything, degree the cam, not sure? Ask. Doesn’t feel right? Ask. I would be nervous seeing RTV in a head bolt hole. Hardest thing to do is listen to them when they talk to you and you did.

wanted to update yall I took out the headbolt and primed the engine and oil gushed out. I guess it was clogged up from years of sitting but it's working now. Thank you everyone for the help.

-
Back