Problem 65 Barracuda

-

cudacurlee

Reaction score
I Am Currently Rebuilding A 65 Cuda. Rear Windows Don't Work, Replacing The Roached 273 With A 318, Speedo Housing Is Cracked All Of The Way Through, Front End Is Toast, And I Have Big Holes In The Corners Of The Wind Shield. Love The Car, But Realizing That A Later Year May Have A Larger Selection Of Parts. Any Suggestions?

cudacurlee said:
I Am Currently Rebuilding A 65 Cuda. Rear Windows Don't Work, Replacing The Roached 273 With A 318, Speedo Housing Is Cracked All Of The Way Through, Front End Is Toast, And I Have Big Holes In The Corners Of The Wind Shield. Love The Car, But Realizing That A Later Year May Have A Larger Selection Of Parts. Any Suggestions?

I would say most of the parts you describe as having problems are just as easily found on early A's than they would on 2nd Generation cars. Sounds like you just need to take one project at a time. Eventually it will all get fixed with time.

Rear Windows- Have you taken them apart to see if something is wrong or actually needs replacement? I prolly have extra parts if yours are broken, I got a parts car in the back for this kinda thing.

273 to 318 - unless you want headers, I would say this is just as easy with either style car. And the lighter early abody is always gonna be nicer to drive.

Speedo cable - http://www.imperialservices.net/Imperial Services - '60-'72 A-Body Parts.htm

Front End - again, just as easy on an early cuda. Pretty simple to get working correctly, just gotta spend some time. Perfect opportunity to upgrade to disc-brakes. There is lots of info out there on how to do this.

Windsheild - All the valiants (and darts?) had the same windsheild, so my guess it that it's pretty easy to get a replacement. It might not be original, but it will not have holes.

The Window Manual Regulators Are Tore Up! The Windows Are Crooked And There Are Pieces Missing. I Need To Replace Both Assemblies.

As Far As The Window Is Concerned, The Body Panel Is Where The Holes Are. The Person Responsible For The Last Window Installation Used Silicone For A Sealer And The Acids Ate The Metal. I Almost Need A New Front Panel Behind The Hood

cudacurlee said:
As Far As The Window Is Concerned, The Body Panel Is Where The Holes Are. The Person Responsible For The Last Window Installation Used Silicone For A Sealer And The Acids Ate The Metal. I Almost Need A New Front Panel Behind The Hood

Gotcha! That sounds like a welding/body job. My guess is most wrecked up early a-bodies would have this peice in good shape, it's just a matter of finding somebody to remove it for you and ship it.

As for the rear windows, let me know if you end up wanting to go down the route of replacing them.

Curlee,

The front winshield you speak of is common in the bottom corners. They can be cut out but be carful. The factory lead sweating was done down there too. If you find a donor care strip the entire cowl window area you will see what I mean. It can be patched up by welding in new pieces its just tricky. I bout a brand new window from a company on Ebay in Wisconson. C&P glass I think it was, 149 bucks. Not Mopar glass but it beats having a fogged up window. As for the sealent you speak of, I replaced all my glass and had bad rust in the channels. As it turns out in the Plymouth manual, the factory fix was to put sealent down in the channel. They killed alot of cars doing that. But then again they were designed to be a 5 year car anyway. Here are some pictures.

DCP_23731.jpg

DCP_23751.jpg

:thumbup: Curlee, I've got a 64 Dart that's being made into a race car, and I plan on Lexan for the whole car. I'll make ya a super deal on both assemblies and whatever glass is still intact ( If I remember, one window was cracked )I mean I'll send you everything. Can you wait, or do you need this ASAP? The car is still at the chassis shop, probably until after Christmas. Let me know. RICK

-
Back