problem solved!!! I have a Loose fuel pump cam and timing gear??

-

dragondan64

Banned
Reaction score
problem solved, was the concave washer was apparently over tightened a few times before I got the motor so got new washer and solved the problem, thanks to all the guys that tried to help! Danny

No I have that flat washer on top of the concaved washer and then the eccentric all going back same as it came off the other cam and now the eccentric and the cam timing gear are still loose, the cam plate is on so I am at a loss here lol can't figure out why its loose, my machinist says it shouldn't be loose and I should only have about .003-.005 endplay on camshaft once its bolted tight but theres a lot more then that

new cam is mopar performance PSC 274 484 hydraulic and the other cam was a Hughes hydraulic cam

I checked the bolt length and then checked how deep the cam threads went and the bolt isn't bottoming out, that's what I thought also

So the eccentric is loose and away from the Cam timing gear?

Is the Camshaft thrust plate installed or a tensioner installed behind the Cam gear?

If not the whole assembly will move.

Yeah the eccentric is loose from the cam timing gear and the timing gear is loose as well, yes the plate is installed same way I removed it, I have the flat washer on bolt first then the concaved washer second and the eccentric and it slides right on the cam key and the bolt tightens and the concaved washer is tight against the cam but the eccentric is still loose and the cam gear moves as well.

is the concave washer installed correctly? concave side allows eccentric slot to engage the cam key.

not sure will check tomorrow im burnt out trying to figure this out, lol, thanks for all the input and theories, will check snout tomorrow and im sure the concave washer is installed correctly the concaved part faces rear of engine correct? I actually don't like the looks of it and will sek new one, this one looks a little grinded up on the inside part that touches the camshaft. will sort this out, taking it back to machine shop tomorrow to check some things, Danny

not sure will check tomorrow im burnt out trying to figure this out, lol, thanks for all the input and theories, will check snout tomorrow and im sure the concave washer is installed correctly the concaved part faces rear of engine correct? I actually don't like the looks of it and will sek new one, this one looks a little grinded up on the inside part that touches the camshaft. will sort this out, taking it back to machine shop tomorrow to check some things, Danny

concaved part faces rear of engine is correct

Yes the.washer should "dome" out. Is cam seated correctly? Where are the grind marks on the washer? Backside?

Pics.would sure help here.

-
Back