problem with 5 Slot wheels and drum brakes

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Wanted to ask if anyone has had this problem?I recently got some sbp 5 slots for my 72 Duster.It still has the drums up front and noticed when I took it for a drive,the front end wabbled really bad.I took the wheels off and noticed the drums had weights on the front,causing the wheel to stick out on one side and wobble.Can I grind these weights down without affecting the balance?

You can remove the weights but you will cause an imbalance. You could them have the wheels spun balanced on the car and ad the weigh back to the wheels, but then you would have to replace the wheels back the same way everytime you take them off. Can you use a thin wheel spacer and clear the weight?

I;m just wondering what the person used before you...... He/she must have had the same issue hhmmmmm.... Interesting

That used to be a common problem with flat backed wheels. Most of the chrome slots fit that category. The back of the wheel would contact the lip of the brake drum or the balance weight on the drum and when the wheel was tightened it would oblong the drum. There used to be a company that made 1/8 aluminum spacers to get around the problem. I made my own with a jig saw and metal blade and a drill press out of 1/8 aluminum sheet metal. A set of spacers should cure your shimmy and shake......

thanks everyone.I will try all the suggestions.I was worried at first that maybe I bought bent rims,but im sure that it would take one helll of a collision to even budge them.I think the last owner had disk brakes on the Dart they came off of,not too sure.I will try a spacer ,but wont I need longer lugs for the spacers?I will see what I can come up with.maybe I can just get smaller weights on them.

Check with Mr. Gasket. They make three different thickness spacers. You won't need longer lug nuts unless you go real thick with the spacing.

The general rule is you won't need longer studs as long as you have as many threads as the stud diameter is as far as strength is concerned.

In other words if you have a 7/16" stud or bolt you need at least 7/16" of threads engaged.

Chuck

I had sbp chrome slots on my car when I first put it on the road in 2000. I used 1/4" thick spacers.

Here is a video clip of the car with those wheels.

I used spacers, the wheels would not sit flush with the drums without them.

MoparFest%2009%20004.jpg

-
Back