Problem with 90* filter adapter threads in the block

-

ESP47

Reaction score
Went to put the 90* adapter on today and noticed that the first 1/2" or so of thread in the block is pretty mucked up while the rest of the threads in back are good. Problem is that I can't get the bolt to the good threads in back. It just stops a couple turns in and I have a feeling I'll break the hollow bolt if I keep trying to force it. What do you guys suggest? Just getting a tap and running it through there to see if I can clean the threads up? I'm kind of nervous about this since I really only get one shot at it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also as a side question, I picked up some zinc additive to break in my hydraulic flat tappet crane cam on start up. The guy at Napa said if I use it, I'll have to always use zinc on every oil change or else I'll wipe the cam out. Is this true? The break in instructions on the crane site say to use it on initial start up but they don't say anything about needing to use it on every oil change thereafter.

Yes, use a tap and be careful. Nice and easy and make sure that the tap is straight and not at an angle when you start it to minimize the chance to cross thread. Use some penetrating oil to lube the hole before you tap it.

I'm not up to date on the oil/zinc thing, but from what I've read so far:

IF YOU DON'T USE THE ZINC ADDITIVE ON BREAK IN, YOU WILL WIPE OUT THE CAM.

I would call the cam manufacturer and ask if you need to keep using it or if you only need it for break in (and pass it on to us).

All oil in the past had Zinc. Now days do to EPA pressure it has been eliminated or severely reduced. I have ran Zinc additive in my flat tappet cams since we lost the zinc in our oil and I haven't had a problem.

Whew, the tap worked. Connected the messed up threads in front to the good threads in back without a problem. Thanks!

-
Back