Problem with fuel guage--- HELP

-

MR.7DUSTER3

His money, My time
Reaction score
Recently rewired car with a Painless kit ,fuel guage has not worked since. I thought it was the sender and since we wanted a 3/8 sender any ways We replaced it. I don't beleive there is any problem with the wiring except for possibly the ground. Any ideas?

Bob / Bryce

Oh I forgot to mention that it has all new Sport Comp Autometer guages in a Redline dash that is what makes me tend to beleive a ground problem.Iwant some advice from the wise ones here on this board befor I tear the dash out again

Thanks Bob

Its a replacement fuel sender that we just put in.It previously had a 5/16 sender in it but it would not read anything but empty also on my new Autometer guage.

Bob

Use an ohm meter to check the sending unit.
If it is open then it is bad.

If you put 12 volts on the gas meter you may have blown out the sending unit.

Ok so your problem is you are using a sender designed for the ohm range of a factory gauge.

You need a sender designed to work with the ohm range of your Autometer gauge.

In simplest terms.... You are trying to put a round peg in a square hole.... It will never work.

Can you get a guage that will match the sender? That would be easier to do than drop the tank again.

Bob

autometer make guages that work with the stock sending unit

This is why I love this site, You guys did it again and educated me , I found out that I was trying to put a square peg into a round hole and that it was never gonna work. After doing a search on fuel sender and guage problems, I found out all the differences on OHMS and the different guages that Autometer has for different cars. It turns out that the set I bought from Summit had a fuel guage that is for GM cars. Luckily enough I can get just the guage I need for $39.95 from Summit,They wont do an exchange because it was over a year ago and it was a set. Even though I did have their tech guy help me pick this out. Oh well live and learn!!!
Once I get the new guage in and it works I will post the results.
Again many thanks 1968 Formula S340 You opened my eyes to a whole new area on matching fuel senders and guages.

Bob

-
Back