Problem with hood spring.

-

HawkerW

CrazyNewMexican
Reaction score
One of the hood hinge springs came off for my 73 Duster. Is there a tool or way to get the spring back on?

There is a welded stud located on the body underneath the fender. The hinges anchor from these and are retained by a stamped steel washer/fastener that is pressed in place. They are designed to NOT come off easily. Yours may have rusted and cracked apart OR they may have been removed once and lost their tension. I don't recall the exact size but I have seen them in bins at ACE hardware. You'll need to remove the fender to gain access. Measure the mounting stud and get the washer that only fits over it with interference.

What I have done is drill a hole in the stud for the lower hinge mount and put a washer and a cotter pin through. I left enough room for movement, don't make it tight...works great. Those slide on star grabber washers (whatever they call them) are great new, but seem to loos tension when reused. Anyway, it worked for me, just a thought :)

One of the hood hinge springs came off for my 73 Duster. Is there a tool or way to get the spring back on?

Wondering the same thing...My drivers side hood spring is still attached to the car. It popped off and is now "unsprung". Is there a way to get it back on without removing the fender?

I took the hood hinge off after taking off the door. I removed the fasteners and have the hinge out of the car. I need some help getting the spring back on the pin.

I took the hood hinge off after taking off the door. I removed the fasteners and have the hinge out of the car. I need some help getting the spring back on the pin.
Unload the spring by taking it loose from the hood, fit it back on the pin, bolt the hood back on the hinge, put on the clip on the pin and reassemble the door

You must not be understanding my problem. Fitting the spring back on the post is my problem!!

-
Back