Problems with new moser axles

-

Twistgrip

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding my A body 8 3/4 741 rear end assembly and having fit issues with my axles. Using cone type sure grip, stock tapered bearings and new moser big brake LBP replacement axles. Axles seem to seat into chunk with no issues but passenger side is out about 1/8" preventing proper adjuster tension. Moser told me to just grind the spline end down a little and it should be OK. Has anyone done this? Moser tech says they build to the longest possible spec because you can't add length and most folks use green bearings anyway. Just a little concerned taking a chop saw or grinder to my shines new axles. What's your thoughts?

Hey if Moser says its ok to cut some off go for it,i trusted them enough to make me a set of axles and they built one of my center sections..they've products are top notch,in fact i bought a set of axles from someone else the quality i thought was not as good as Moser..sold them and put the Mosers in my car..

Axles seem to seat into chunk with no issues but passenger side is out about 1/8" preventing proper adjuster tension.

First and foremost, be sure that the axle has seated in both spline sets in the suregrip. Try turning it, apply inward pressure at the same time. Might even have to tap on it a bit.

If you do end up having to trim it, I would be inclined to check the other axle first. IF, it's hitting the thrust block and shoving it over some, you might be better served to remove a 16th off each axle.

Check, check and double check before doing any cutting or grinding.

Thanks for the replies, I certainly will recheck. I Didn't mention earlier that when I tighten the adjuster down (more torque than normal) it does seem to lock up and prevent rotation.

I have done this many times with Moser axles , I wonder if you housing inacurate length tubes ( I have seen these housings the proper width but not proper side to side )

-
Back