Production turbo header. big block A body. any interest?

-

69B3GT

Reaction score
Ok guys, heres our chance to step out of the stone age and get on the same playing field as the Chevy and Ford crowd. Ive been talking with a fabrication company that does top-notch work. With enough interest they will produce Big Block A body turbo headers.

Pricing is to be determined as are the materials that will be used. This is up to us. The headers will be built in a 69 dart using shumacher conversion mounts, standard exhaust ports (no raised port heads), 440(rb) manual steering and manual brakes. Most likely they will be a 2inch primary tube but it may be switched to 1 7/8in depending on the demand and what you guys want.

AcedAutoWorx.com is the company and ill put a few pictures of their work up with more available if needed. Lets get some feedback here guys, there are already talks of small block A body turbo headers being produced if these take off.

What would you want to see in these headers? Primary tube size? Stainless? This is our one shot at someone finally putting us on the map and not letting the BrandX racers have all the production while were still cobbling together our own stuff or spending a billion dollars to have a one-off set of headers made.

Im thinking it will take 10-15 people willing to have sets made for this to happen.

Big block A bodies are a pretty small niche. Big block turbo A bodies an even smaller niche.

That said, good luck! I hope it works out. We need all the new stuff for Mopars we can get.

Big block A bodies are a pretty small niche. Big block turbo A bodies an even smaller niche.

That said, good luck! I hope it works out. We need all the new stuff for Mopars we can get.

I just feel its a small crowd since nobody has a header they can bolt on and make it work. Im gonna keep trying, even though I have a set of turbo headers I can use, I want this to work so everyone else can do it.

Then if it works, theres always the possibility of a small block set being made too

Maybe think about also including the N/A big block crowd. Just a random thought.

How close do reversed cast iron manifolds come? I know that does it for the LS crowd.

Stainless is the best material. Make sure the mounting bolts have extra big holes,as heat from turbo's makes for a lot of expansion. Too small a bolt hole and the fastener will get sheared off.Where would the turbo mount? Under hood,or down below?

Stainless is the best material. Make sure the mounting bolts have extra big holes,as heat from turbo's makes for a lot of expansion. Too small a bolt hole and the fastener will get sheared off.Where would the turbo mount? Under hood,or down below?

Turbo would be underhood, most likely where the stock battery goes. This will be headers only, no cross over piping. But headers are the biggest issue and most difficult to make so I want to fill that void for us. I was thinking stainless and knew about the enlarged bolt holes. That will all be incorporated to the headers.

I had the Houston R/V turbo setup on a 400 in a 71 Polara. I used a crossover and the modified passenger ram horn manifold that had the turbo flange welded above the center ports. It was a pretty clean setup but no way it would fit an A body. Maybe if the turbo flange was moved to where the alternator would normally be.

So this is why I saw some of your parts for sale. Lol. Definitely interesting.

If they're going to go for a small block setup, sign me up. I may even find a donor vehicle for the 273 that is coming out of my Dart. I wouldn't want to throw a turbo on my 408 stroker just yet.

So this is why I saw some of your parts for sale. Lol. Definitely interesting.

If they're going to go for a small block setup, sign me up. I may even find a donor vehicle for the 273 that is coming out of my Dart. I wouldn't want to throw a turbo on my 408 stroker just yet.

Yeah just trying to move my extra parts so I can put this together. If not I have a line on a complete hotside already just wanted to include everyone in it. Im keeping the spare block though. Never know when ill need another. Doubt the big block stuff will happen

Start with a blown small block header set. I'm in for them.

I agree. I'd be interested in small block headers, for numerous reasons. Packaging isn't the least of those issues. I'd love to turbo the 273 in my '67 FB, maybe even step all the way up to a 318! LOL

Mike in FL

Space is at a premium on a turbo build, especially a big block A-body.
A simple "log" style exhaust manifold system is usually more than enough to feed hot air into the turbo. The pretty tubes add to the complexity, but not necessarily the power potential. Most people overthink and oversize the hot side. The point is to get hot air moving into the turbo as rapidly as possible. This isn't naturally aspirated and the thought process needs to be different.

Other than planting an idea, I don't have any answers on how to build this type of manifold in a mopar engine compartment, but perhaps this is something to ponder with your fabricator as you start your build.

Over in LSx land, folks will take log manifolds just like these deep into the low 8's@170+.

65ed141283bbbfa1f7632821ff5b1db6

photo-43.jpg

1046CC11-D2CA-46B9-8177-B6EFD64A6FEC_zpsya3tasvk.jpg

newgen hemi is where your gonna find buyers for turbos and headers. unfortunately i may corner that myself this season. pass side is as tight as it gets but doable. with my motor plates i can run an off the shelf set of shorties flipped. only need to drill and thread the heads for the center 4 bolt holes per side. gear box is the biggest issue in a bodies. best of luck to ya. 304ss is the material to use.

-
Back