Progress, but temp and gas gauges dont work.

-
If its the goldist, silverish box attached to the firewall, that's the starter relay. It energies to send battery current to the starter. The wire with "fuse link" is the Fuseable link. In the event of a short it will open and cut current to help keep your car from catching on fire!! Once it "opens" you have to replace it.

Thanks man! in the 3rd picture you see in the back ground a box that has a few wires in it, one of them says fuse link on a rubber tab, but do you know what he whole thing is called?
In the background should be your bulkhead. It's all the wires going from the engine compartment to you fuse box or dash. That fuseable link is another potential weak link just like the Alt gauge issues previously mentioned all the way up to my 79 Dodge truck. If you buy a new wiring harness for under the hood, whether it be a 'forward engine' or 'light harness' it will plug in there in the bulkhead.

On mine I have to put it back together for a car show in a week and then I'll have to take it back apart later to at least paint it. If I have found a solution to my alt gauge problem I will address it then. Until then I'll bolt the leads back together and let it ride. It has been like that for the last 15 years...Thanks again for your help. I'll update when I do anything and I'm sure I'll ask questions again.

I just fixed my gas gauge this morning. To test the gauge itself you can pull the wire off of the sending unit on the gas tank (Find the sending unit right behind the rear diff and under your passenger side shock tower.. see pics below).

IMG_5013.JPG

You then take a wire, stick it inside the plug from the car and ground it to something metal on the car. If the gauge itself is functional it should go from Empty to Full. If the gauge works, sending unit is bad. They usually always go out anywho.

I ordered my sending unit from RockAuto (link: 1965 DODGE DART 4.5L 273cid V8 Fuel Sending Unit | RockAuto the one i bought is the third one down in the list) and took about an hour to install. They look vastly different than the original, but it works. some more pics cause why not.

IMG_5015.JPG
IMG_5014.JPG
IMG_5016-1.JPG
54473759871__77882328-EB8D-4478-96F7-EF32BC805746-1.JPG

-
Back