Progress on the 71 Dart Swinger

-
Carcrazyguy

I checked out all your pics and noticed your car originally had side moulding.

Can you tell me a little bit about the process you used to fill in the holes?

Thanks
John

From what I understand the bodyshop had to grind the tabs down. Weld up some low areas and then a skim coat of filler to make it as smooth as possible. It was not an easy task because there is a body line along that edge. But overall I think the car looks pretty good. It is not a show car, rather just a family project. I will be in Amarillo in a few weeks to drive the car for the first time since I bought it!!! I will plan to take plenty of close-up detail pics of the car!!! I can't wait to see it with my own eyes!!!

Okay, now the next step in the process. I am trying to decide on how to finish the car. Here is what I am tossing up......

black stripe, go wing, factory dual hood scoops with hood blackout
white stripe and red factory dual scoops
black stripe and red factory dual scoops

Which combo do you all think would look the best???

low quality pic with wheel centers and trim rings on. Still need to install all the windshield, backglass and side rain gutter(?) chrome.

71DartOutside2.jpg

Well a couple more things to check off.....front end got aligned today and the exhuast tips got welded on!! It is getting a little closer!!

71DartBackJuly3rd2007.jpg

71DartDriversSideJuly3rd2007.jpg

71DartPassSideJuly3rd2007.jpg

71DartJuly3rd2007.jpg

Your Dart really came out great:thumbup: I've only just begun my journey;)

Question about the rear bumper. Was the 4 light rear bumper on '71s and '72s?

I believe 4 lights were 71 and 72. 72's would have a different grill and clearance lights are not recessed on 72's. I wanted a 70 back bumper for my car but never found one before I got ready to install it.

71Dart3rdJuly2007.jpg

Hi...Great Work Man!!!

I Think only the ´71 Dart has 4 Lenses... my Friend has a 72 Scamp and he has only 2 Lenses.
My Dart was BBuild in 70 but i have the Rearbumper from a ´71 whitch has 4 Lenses.
A ´70 Dart has 2 Lenses.
So thats my Knowledge....:confused:

nice job! dont stop now almost done!:cheers:

Thanks...

Not planning on stopping just yet. Still need to get the dual scoops installed, rear stripe put on and a go-wing. Not to mention the carpet and seats still need to be finished. Then plan my next project.....either redo another car or buy a couple of project cars while I takke time to enjoy this one a bit.

looking good carcrazy. i am looking at your car trying to get motavated to work on mine. i started tearing it apart a few weeks ago and keep finding things that will need to be fixed. more then i bargened for, but hey I got me a DART, right. good luck with the finishing touches.
Jeff

i am looking at your car trying to get motavated to work on mine. i started tearing it apart a few weeks ago and keep finding things that will need to be fixed.
Jeff

Thanks again for the compliments!

As for getting motivated....hang in there. We have been working on this car since I bought it in late 2004. Started out like this.......

1971DartBeforeAndDec2006.jpg

New carpet and seat covers are in! Still have a bunch to clean and all, but it is slowly coming together!!

71DartBackSeatCushionOut.JPG

71DartBackSeatOut.JPG

Wow nice project!!!

BTW, my 73 Swinger has 4 lenses on the rear.

Yep that would be correct for 71-73 Dart Swingers. :)

Oh yeah, we put the right lug nuts on. It had black lugs and they just didn't look right! So we put the long closed end chrome ones on!! Much nicer up close!

DartOutside3.JPG

Just wanted to say THANKS to all those that have helped answer the many questions I have asked over the last 3+ years!!! I finally got my 71 Dart project inspected and tagged today!! It is not "done" still needs the rear stripe installed and possibly a go wing and factory hood scoops. But at least now I can legally get it out and enjoy it a little!! It is not a "show quality" car, and was never meant to be!! But it will be plenty fun anyway!! Once again thanks to all who have helped answer all my questions!!

DartRedone.jpg

Excellent job dude, that thing looks really sharp. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy it!

Looks great. I am still waiting on my 3 year mark, i may have done something with mine by then. Now go yee forward and drive like the dickens

-
Back