Project 1964 Dart GT (273, M4) Convertible

-

Rhetor

Reaction score
Well, I have gotten so much help and encouragement from everyone in so many ways!

Thought it was time for me to chronicle my progress and future info on one thread. Everyone has been so kind even with all the individual threads I have started for help, not to once chastise me for so many threads . . .

So . . . since it looks like I will be part of the FABO family for the indefinite future, thus this thread . . . there may even be one or two people who will subscribe to it! :dontknow:

So, here is what has happened:

I had been silently shopping around for a muscle car platform . . . but . . . in May, a month ago, a old acquaintance talked me into his kind of running real rough 1964 Dodge Dart GT Convertible (273 2bbl, manual 4 speed; black with red stripe and red interior). He is the original owner. Car had the engine totally rebuilt about 28K miles ago . . . and that was about 10 years ago. All the glass is original and perfect. Everything except the window washer works. Total survivor . . . says he painted once (about 20 years ago), but must have been an $99.95 Earl Scheib paint job back in the day--but still looks pretty good. Virtually no rust, just a tiny bit through the right rear driver fender well . . . have to have the car on a lift to see it. All original interior--some parts perfect, front seats and dash pretty warn. Even the AM radio still works for the once local station broadcasting.

So . . . I bought it . . . was running till we went to tow it away, of course . . . but got it running now. Got it to my friends motorcycle shop 1 1/2 hours from my house . . . been running back and forth when off to work on it . . . here is the progress so far, none of it could have been done right so far without the members of FABO . . . so this is already your car too! (You just cannot have the title!)

Vision? To make it safe and trustworthy to drive occasionally back and forth to work 30 miles away--(no interest in a rotisserie 100% resto or engine swap--want to honor this survivor as a fun as much as possible and driver). Any bolt-ons are very welcome!:profilel:

Here is what has been done and is going on to take it to its first local cruise-in on June 12 (driving from south metro Atlanta to North Alabama):

1. Took off and cleaned the 2bbl carb and got her running again. (Found out carb was not original--a Holly 2bbl from the 70's).

2. Reworked the brakes all around--new master cylinder, new bake cylinders and shoes, hardware, etc . . . kept the stock setup, just renewed it all for safety. (Brakes locked up on first drive out--they literally fell off two rear wheels when I took the tires off!)

3. Refilled the power top fluid--power top now works amazing--no leaks! (No one had given it attention since 1964. Was just low.)

4. Changed oil, plugs, air filter, points, etc--general tune-up and PM.

5. Parts coming in or on hand today and being bolted on or used next Monday:

a. Canadian repro gas tank;
b. fuel filler tube grommet;
c. sending unit from Chrysler parts;
d. back-up switch on transmission housing;
e. Walker carb rebuild kit; and
f. Walker carb float--rebuilding the 2bbl carb for now for PM.

What is ahead?

1. Replace swiss cheese original single exhaust with a new dual exhaust with a little mini-muscle grumble (meaning cutting a notch in the crossmember).

2. Replace passenger and driver seat covers.

3. Eventually, down the road, make it a faux Commando--when I have had a lot of fun driving the 2bbl version, (secure a serviceable 4bbl intake--new or used--and new Holly 4bbl carb). Keeping the original 273 . . . runs great! (If it ever blows, well then we can cut out the fender wells and drop a bigger one in).

4. Buff out the current paint as good as is possible.

5. Replace the synchronizers in the 4 speed--works fine, just a little noise when downshifting.

6. Eventually, much later, drop in an 8 1/4 rear end, and front discs, and of course period correct wheels . . . got to get bigger than the 13 inchers that are on there now . . . (looks pretty cool now with the original wheelcovers.)

7. Eventually replace/restore the rear bumper . . . a lot of rust on the top side of the chrome and the only rust on the chrome of the car . . . all other chrome and decals original and in great shape.

I will update this thread and ask for technical help here as we go . . . believe me . . . I will ask! I am a total NUG (new guy) on this stuff! I have been bit with the bug . . . only got to drive it for a couple of miles 3 weeks ago . . . but I am hooked!

Already, the FABO community has helped so much and got me excited!

I hope sometime to hear about a gathering in metro Atlanta.

Thanks to all!

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

sounds like your off to a great start! I would put some new wheels up near the top of the priority list just to give it an attitude adjustment. These are simple cars, shouldn't take too long to get it roadworthy and reliable.
Good luck with the progress on it and keep the updates and pictures coming! Remember we are here to help you!
-Tim

Dog gone gas tank got lost by UPS . . . seller sending me another one this week, so I am slowed down . . . but . . .

Many thanks to Slantsixdan . . . who identified the aftermarket Holly carb on this thing (I had wrongly assumed it was the original stock carb) . . . and thanks to Dan, got the right carb kit and new float . . .

Rebuilt the 2bbl carb yesterday . . . and, Wow! What a difference! Runs as smooth as new! Thanks, Dan!

Slapped on a new filter (so I don't gunk of the rebuilt carb) and took it out for a spin (2 miles) for the first time in weeks (with new brakes on it) and it was awesome!

Except the 13" old tires and wheels . . . what a shake! Ha! Ha! So, now, moving up a search for some wheels!

Holding my new sending unit and rubber grommet, sitting at the door waiting on that new gas tank!:read2:

sounds like your off to a great start! I would put some new wheels up near the top of the priority list just to give it an attitude adjustment. These are simple cars, shouldn't take too long to get it roadworthy and reliable.
Good luck with the progress on it and keep the updates and pictures coming! Remember we are here to help you!
-Tim

Optik, now on the hunt for some good used wheels . . . want to put the largest on I can without reworking the wheel wells . . . I think those will be 235/60R/14?

After rebuilding the carb yesterday, took her out . . . sweet . . . but became obvious the old ply 13" tires have got to go . . . shake, shake, shake . . . time for wheels for safety and looks too . . . (I will keep the old 13 inch tims and 20 year old tires with great tread and perfect caps in the garage . . . you never know when you might want to turn back the clock.)

I never bought used wheels before, so any education will be helpful. Old Cragars or what? I have started looking around, but know not what I doeth!

the other option is to put some steel wheels on the car off of a 72ish Dart they came in 14" size. I have 2 really nice ones that I'd sell.

Nice car it has all the right stuff, V8 and a 4speed and a vert....course 65s are better...:)

the other option is to put some steel wheels on the car off of a 72ish Dart they came in 14" size. I have 2 really nice ones that I'd sell.

Nice car it has all the right stuff, V8 and a 4speed and a vert....course 65s are better...:)

65s are better?!?!?!?! IMO it is the 64s! (Even if I am looking for the 65 4bbl intake to do a Commando knockoff.):-D

New gas tank just got here! Did not know Fed Ex did 6 PM deliveries in my neighborhood . . .

Now that the brakes are done and she is running, sweet on the old 2bbl . . . tomorrow, looks like I will be putting on:

1. New Gas Tank.
2. New Sending Unit
3. New ribber fuel filler grommet.
4. New Back-up switch.

Next up . . . finding a great set of pre-owned wheels (upgrading from 13inch steelies and covers . . . to put on new 235/60R/14s--need new tread too. Maybe Cragars?

New gas tank just got here! Did not know Fed Ex did 6 PM deliveries in my neighborhood . . .

Now that the brakes are done and she is running, sweet on the old 2bbl . . . tomorrow, looks like I will be putting on:

1. New Gas Tank.
2. New Sending Unit
3. New ribber fuel filler grommet.
4. New Back-up switch.

Got all that done today! Yeah!

Next up . . . finding a great set of pre-owned wheels (upgrading from 13inch steelies and covers . . . to put on new 235/60R/14s--need new tread too. Maybe Cragars?

Definitely, almost, think I really like the Cragars. On the lookout!

Slandsixdan helped my identify the right new Eddy 4bbl carb. But, still looking for that 4bbl intake off a 1964 273 . . . part number 2465726

-
Back