Project 78

-
With the POR 15 make sure you use the whole system, marine clean, etch ect.
And it will require a top coat, or it will fade purple.

Soooo due to power tour and my w200 maybe getting 6-7 mpg in that traffic, I’ve been trying to engineer a 2nd tank into my w200.

So factory, I have the 18 gallon(rated) gas tank on the drivers side. HOWEVER, some models got passenger side 18 gallon tanks and later ones got 27 gallon ones mounted at the rear behind the axle. As such, the frame is set up with all the holes and brackets to simply add the tanks and straps.

My replacement bed I got from California has the filler on the passenger side.

I have a second 18 gallon tank and straps I pulled from a junkyard years ago when the yard wanted the same price for the tank as they did the sending unit I needed.

I also have a 27 gallon tank but no straps.

I’m trying to decide, do I had the 18 gallon tank or the 27? If I had the 18 to the passenger side, I will need to route the exhaust to avoid being anywhere near the plastic gas tank. Probably on the outside of the frame and have to fashion some sort of heat shield. That said, the 27 gives more range, I can route the exhaust, in the factory locations (even though it’s a true dual aftermarket) but I’d then have no spare tire mount, plus I’d have to figure out the fuel filler routing as my bed isn’t set up for that and has a cross member that hits where the 27 gal sending unit is. Beds from that era had the member moved.

But while I decide that, I’m trying to figure out how to actually use the 2 tanks. I know but Chevy and ford used dual tank valves that were notorious for failing and what I’ve read, the new Chinese replacement ones are even worst. I thought about just rigging an electric fuel pump from the supply line to the return line on the other tank but then do I run the return from the engine to the second tank? Or is there a check valve or something I cya put in the line and connect to the primary tank? I’ve also thought about drilling into the filler tank and routing the secondary to fill the primary in that manner. I’m sure I just confused the hell out of everyone but thoughts?

91 days to meet the goal… am I crazy

IMG_3823.jpeg

IMG_3822.jpeg

IMG_3821.jpeg

IMG_3817.jpeg

IMG_3801.jpeg

IMG_3805.jpeg

My youngest decided to help with my son decided it was too windy to work on the truck lol

IMG_3921.jpeg

IMG_3922.jpeg

Even if we don’t get finished by power tour it’s been a blast with these two “helping”.

Frame gets painted tomorrow!

IMG_3941.jpeg

IMG_3937.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

IMG_3943.jpeg

IMG_3944.jpeg

Keep them busy!!!!!
Ever put 99 dodge rims on a w200? I’ve got a brand new set of tires on my 99. Thinking of running them on my 78 just for power tour. Dont really care about the looks hava

Try them,
When I bought the axles for mine, they were out of a 90 w250, and it had the newer generation wheels on them.

It’s rust treatment and paint time!

IMG_4086.jpeg

Nice booth setup!
Crude but effective. Temp was steady at 72 with just the lights. It was 59 outside.

I have a hobby air 2 breathing system. Just run the hose under the plastic with the intake outside the building. Otherwise, I wouldn’t recommend trying this. It held the fumes really well

-
Back