Project: "A Body Jr" - 1975 Dodge Colt

-
Weren't Colts, Crickets, Omnis and Horizons Mitsu powered? Let's not forget the Raider....
Colt, crickets and raiders where all Chrysler rebaged Mitsu's, Omnis and Horizons where another company that Chrysler bough from its original European owners and moove the tooling to the states but the first run of those where done overseas, and if i am not mistaken the first ones comes with VW engines as i did work with one when i used to work in PR for Izusu someone comes to the dealer to change a timing belt in a VW engined first year Horizon, all that was before the K cars if my memory dont fail!

I was browing through Cardomain.com and it suggested that one. It's not too far from me, and I actually grew up in Kearney. Alas, I hope to have mine built with drivetrain for the 3K + he is asking for. IMO the price isn't too bad, but the wife would MURDER me if I brough home another one....
I have a rear bumper for that thing if your interested. Might have some other items as well.

Ian

Absolutely interested. The rear bumper is rusted to hell, front is pretty good. I found a site for fiberglass that I had considered. What else ya got? How is it you have spare Colt parts lying around?

Small update but no pictures:

I drained oil, and dropped transmisison pan last night. I hate pulling engine and trans to have it puke fluid all over the floor, so I wanted to get as much out as possible. Tonight, i will crack open the radiator, and get as much of that out as possible.

Then, the engine, trans, and driveshaft come out so I can get to work!

I am not sure what to do with the drivetrain. Part of me hates getting rid of stuff like this as there has to be SOMEONE out there who could use it, but at what price and hassle. I definately don't have the room to throw it under the work bench. I am leaning towards pulling head, intake, exhaust manifold off the engine, plus separating tranmission, and putting them on ebay. Thoughts?

duster72_1.jpg

Looks like this "Floating Duster" could use a few more antennas . . .

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

Ian,
Yes, it is a chain motor.

I got logged onto into classic colts finally. I put up a FS ad, hopefully someone can use it.

Dammit your thread made me buy another one. So I started another thread. Might have to change this to forcoltsonly.com. LOL!:thumblef:

Colts are awesome squirrelly little drag cars!! Short wheel base makes it handle like an altered!!

Dammit your thread made me buy another one. So I started another thread. Might have to change this to forcoltsonly.com. LOL!:thumblef:

It's contagious.

540DEMON got me hooked.

I started checking Craigslist locally, and WHAM, one showed up.

Thought I would hijack your thread for inspiration for you!
360colt007.jpg

360colt010.jpg

360colt011.jpg

lttleredhenperformance015.jpg

Mini starter is a must.
lttleredhenperformance010.jpg

Hope these help. I have a couple with my 383 installed but not mounted in. I will try and find them.

Ian

Gee thanks Ian...
Now I will be up until late hours working in the garage. :sleepy5:

I would love to see pics of the 383. That is what I am going to use, final answer.

My hoist comes back in a couple weeks, and the original engine comes out. I tried posting it on the classic colt forum, no interest at all. I plan on putting parts up on Ebay, perhaps pulling intake, head, etc and selling them loose.

What did you determine wheels would be to 66214? No tires. PM me if need be.

I made a major haul on CL locally today!
Guy was selling the core of a 77 Mustang II.
I bought the entire frame, with hoops over rear wheels, plus narrowed 9" rear end with axles,, ladder bar suspension, sway bar, and rack & pinion steering setup + a set of Quick Trick wheels, 15x3.5 in front, 15x14 in rear, for 400.00 bucks. !

First measurement says the rear end is about 4 inches wide overall, so decisions will have to be made. I haven't decided if I want to cut the 9" down, get the axles splined, and run it, or sell it, use the proceeds to have the C body 8.75 cut down, and buy axles. The 9" doesn't have a center section. I have a center section for the 8.75, but it is 2.76 ratio, which probably will not work with the steam roller tires that will be needed to fit the 13 or 14 inch wide rear wheels. If I go this way, the rear seat is definately gonzo...
I am trying to decided if I want to brush the wheels to give them a Centerline type look, or powdercoat flat black. Part of me really likes the flat black idea...
Now, the pictures....
wheels.jpg

wheels2.jpg

quicktrick.jpg

My good friend Stewart Pomeroy has entrusted me with dozens
of largely unseen photos of the Mopar Missle and Don Carlton cars
along with others like the Butch Leal Aero wind tunnel files.

Here are just a few Colt shots, including what was the first Sox Colt.

103_3233.jpg

GoodSeymourColt2.jpg

FRONT-SIDEVIEW2.jpg

Carlton3c5.jpg

These old Mitsu-Dodgies had surprisingly roomy engine compartments that begged for a V8. :D My first truck was a Power-Ram 50 (D50) and it created a spot in my heart for the little D50 pickups and the 70's sporty mitsu cars too.

Always wanted a 70's Arrow/Fire Arrow. Although i do have a Plymouth Arrow (truck, not the car) sitting in my grandfather's garage.

My good friend Stewart Pomeroy has entrusted me with dozens
of largely unseen photos of the Mopar Missle and Don Carlton cars
along with others like the Butch Leal Aero wind tunnel files.

Here are just a few Colt shots, including what was the first Sox Colt.

103_3233.jpg

GoodSeymourColt2.jpg

FRONT-SIDEVIEW2.jpg

Carlton3c5.jpg

Few more Colt shots from my collection. Have a bunch more I have to scan first. That last one is probably the same Sox & Martin Colt you show. It was at Minnesota Dragways 1974. I also think the White Rod Shop Don Carlton Colt is the one he crashed in tire testing that unfortunately took his life.

Attachments

• RLyles_Colt_MNDragways.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 794
  • RLyles_Colt.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 861
  • RLyles_Colt_HolidayInn.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 784
  • RodShop_Colt_GreatLakes.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 808
  • RodShop_Colt_Indy.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 776
  • SoxMartin_Colt_MNDragways.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 795
I also think the White Rod Shop Don Carlton Colt is the one he crashed in tire testing
that unfortunately took his life.
I believe that it was this (same?) car in stretched nose configuration
that he perished in. The first photo of Clyde Hodges servicing the Colt
was taken by myself outside of my hotel room at the Spring Nationals
in Columbus less than a month before that terrible day.

Rear axle position in last three shots is an anomoly I haven't seen elsewhere.

Clyde77Springnats.jpg

CarltonColt.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Continuing.......and why do you put it in there?

Notice that the hood is "virgin" in the first couple of shots.

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

No

43.jpg

No

42.jpg

Yes!
40.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg