Project "Chihuahua" '65 Formula S Restoration "Estilo Mexicano"

-
Update: Preparing to install exterior rear window chrome mouldings. Since interior pieces are already in place, it looks to be a challenge. Although the two small pieces that attach directly to the trunk hinges look identical to me, I noticed they are marked right and left and have different part number stamps: 2526824 RT and 2526825 LT (see photos #1 & #2). Any hints/tricks on installation would be appreciated.

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

I used some thin foil with adhesive backing to cover the open spaces under the pair of side pieces for the outside rear window (photos #1 & #2).

I could not see myself trying to remove the plastic corner pieces with the two upper screws tucked under the gasket for the glass. So to install the outside "hat" washer and speed nuts I decided to drill access holes thru the interior plastic side pieces (photo #3). I can find or make a plug later, or I don't see a problem if they are not even covered. I stuck the "hat" washer on with spray adhesive (used for headliners) so I would not have to fight keeping it on the stud while trying to thread on the nut.

Since I only had one hat washer for each side, I used a flat washer for the stud closest to the trunk hinge. Again, I stuck the washer on with spray adhesive. I was lucky enough on the passenger side to get a small nut on the stud nearest the hinge attached without drilling another access hole. I used a 1/4" universal joint and short extension, together with a 3/8" socket with a magnet insert. The angle for the universal joint was extreme, but I was able to coax the nut onto the threaded stud. On the driver side (nearest the hinge) I used a larger speed nut and had to use fingers of both hands to get it started on the threaded stud (the universal joint would not accommodate the longer in length speed nut).

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Last edited:
The center section was much easier with large slots ready to access the four threaded studs. I used some circular rubber discs on the studs to seal the holes (see photo post #326). I tried not to over-tighten anything. The factory center rubbery gasket against the window is not in the best of shape but I don't have a replacement handy. The center emblem still lacks the blue/red paint it displayed when factory fresh.

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

-
Back