Projet Gerty - 1964 Valiant Signet 200 Convertible

-

64ValiantRagtop

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the classic community, and this is my first project car.

We started working on her this weekend. We've worked about 9 1/2 hours and have her stripped down, and are ready to pull the engine and tranny. Things are taking a bit longer because I'm learning as I go...and I have a very good (patient :-D) teacher.

Hopefully, we'll have the car on the rotisserie by this weekend.

I never knew that restoring a car would be so much fun! :toothy10:

I'll have pics posted soon.

Hey, I like the nickname you've given the 200. What are you're plans for it? Good luck with the project and have fun. Pics if you have them.
Bob

I'm brand new to the classic community, and this is my first project car.

We started working on her this weekend. We've worked about 9 1/2 hours and have her stripped down, and are ready to pull the engine and tranny. Things are taking a bit longer because I'm learning as I go...and I have a very good (patient :-D) teacher.

Hopefully, we'll have the car on the rotisserie by this weekend.

I never knew that restoring a car would be so much fun! :toothy10:

I'll have pics posted soon.
Welcome ChargerSXT :cheers: If I missed you in the welcome wagon thread.
It sure is good to see yet another Virginia member jump in and join us on this great site :happy10:
Get them pictures up soon and keep us updated when you can :cheers:
I agree on her name 8)

Thanks guys.

I have a long list of plans for Gerty.

I'm staying with the Slant Six, but I will be doing some work on it ;-). I'll be adding discs up front and sway bars front and rear. The wheels I'm putting on will be the chrome smoothies.

The interior will be solid white. I haven't decided on the body color yet, but I am leaning towards one of the classic Plymouth colors. I want Gerty to REALLY stand out in a crowd. :-D

I'll post pics as soon as I can get them off of my camera.

I finally have my pictures posted. Instead of putting them all here, check out www.hr-mopar.info. There is a page for "Project Gerty" on the site. On that page, there are galleries of pics...both of before restoration pics and during restoration pics. These galleries will be updated as the restoration progresses.

Great little Valiant!!! Have fun with your first restoration. I'm still working on my first one. You'll be amazed at how much you will learn. This site is a great resource. Welcome to FABO!!!

Great little Valiant!!! Have fun with your first restoration. I'm still working on my first one. You'll be amazed at how much you will learn. This site is a great resource. Welcome to FABO!!!

Thanks. I've learned a ton already...and I'm having a blast. I actually don't want to stop working in the evenings.

Looks like you picked a really nice car to restore. Looks super solid from the pics. Have fun with Gerty and keep posting the update. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone. I look forward to posting many more updates...and I really look forward to posting those "after restoration" pics.

If anyone is going to Carlisle next July, look me up. I'll be there...and you'll know what the car will look like. I'm already registered and have my hotel reservations. :-D

The project is going well so far. The only snag we've run into is the fact that the rotisserie is too short, so it needs to be modified a bit.

I took the engine apart this weekend...the first time I've ever done that.

Now, I'm starting the process of cleaning parts and pieces. I'm going to have the block dipped, and the head will have some work done soon, too.

I've posted some new pics in my galleries.

I also ordered a book yesterday called the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth/DeSoto Parts Locator Book. Has anyone had any experience with this publication?

We're just about ready to start sandblasting...but I had to share something unique that we found. We originally thought that the rear quarters were solid bondo. We found out yesterday that we were completely wrong.

Come to find out, the quarters were patched over...not cut out and/or replaced...with aluminum flashing, pop-riveted on, and then bondo'ed (sp?) over. We couldn't believe it. In over 30 years of working on vehicles, my restoration guy had never seen anything like this. Check out these pics (more pics will be uploaded to my website soon).

Flashing 1.jpg

Flashing 2.jpg

That's GOOOOOOD body work, ChargerSXT!! On MY '62 Toad, the lower rear quarters had been stuffed with rags and newspaper and then bondoed over!

How well had the flashing/bondo held up? How long do you think it was like this before you revealed it? Just asking becasue I remember my dad telling me about folks doing this a long time ago and I can't imagine it would have lasted too long.

If I remember correctly, the previous owner said the car was painted last about 14 years ago, so it may have been done then...but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I've been in contact via email with the previous two owner and a family member of both (the car was kept in the family), but I don't want to ask about this specifically. I may try to word it more generally...like when the last time any paint and body work was done.

-
Back