Proparts headers

-

sbh126

Reaction score
Well I was trying to bench assembly my proparts headers today and noticed there's no way to attatch 4 of the 8 pipes to the collectors. The outside pipes have little tabs on the collector and the pipes themselves. but nothing on the 4 inside pipes. Is this enough to keep the headers together? Also one of the pipes is 2 pieces. They just slide together and thats it. I'm no expert but wouldn't I have exhaust leaks here and at the collectors?

The attatched image is just something I found on google. But you can see the tabs on the left hand side.

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 272
It is it and that is that. The tabs simply retain the collector to the tubes, and not all tubes have tabs. The slip fit tube just relies on the interference fit for sealing, but a smear of Ultra copper RTV doesnt hurt. I had to use a block of wood and hammer on the collector flange to tap the collector onto the pipes until the tabs lined up, and the same to seperate them. Sometimes its easier to keep the flanges loose when tying the bottoms together, then torquing the flanges down. Great header even with this attribute, couldnt work without this feature.

I had read somewhere to use a lot of anti seize to aid in removing the headers when the time comes. Would the anti-seize along with the tight fit be enough to hold in the pressure? I'd hate to use rtv and never be able to get them appart.

Mine are the same way, no leaks but mine were JetHot coated and fit together tight.

-
Back