Proper backspacing

-

HOOCH

Reaction score
Ok so I wanna slap some 18s on my 67 dart. We'll I was just gonna use billet adapters to swap to more common bolt pattern in case I sell the car. So my question is does anyone know what backspacing I'll need to get the maximum width rim? My goal is run 18x8s In the back 18x7 in the front.

4.5 effective backspacing in rear.

5.5 effective backspacing in front.

Take the thickness of any spacers or adapters and MINUS that from the backspacing of the rims to get effective backspacing.

245/35/18 tire in rear

245/35/18 tire in front.

4.5 effective backspacing in rear.

5.5 effective backspacing in front.

Take the thickness of any spacers or adapters and MINUS that from the backspacing of the rims to get effective backspacing.

245/35/18 tire in rear

245/35/18 tire in front.

I agree, except for two things:

1. A 245/35/18 is only 24.8" tall. You'll want 245/40/18's, which are 25.7" tall.

2. No reason not to run 18x8's up front, especially if you're going to run 245's. And the 5.5" backspacing works better for 18x8's anyway.

I agree, except for two things:

1. A 245/35/18 is only 24.8" tall. You'll want 245/40/18's, which are 25.7" tall.

2. No reason not to run 18x8's up front, especially if you're going to run 245's. And the 5.5" backspacing works better for 18x8's anyway.

Was playing it conservative in the front with a shorter 24.8" diameter tires. But with 5.5" effective backspacing I think 25.7" will still work even with a 8" wide rim.

What is the thickness of adapters you are looking at?

A rim with the needed extra backspace might look pretty strange. If you converted to big bolt disk up front, you could get away with less backspace on the rim itself.

Was playing it conservative in the front with a shorter 24.8" diameter tires. But with 5.5" effective backspacing I think 25.7" will still work even with a 8" wide rim.

What is the thickness of adapters you are looking at?

A rim with the needed extra backspace might look pretty strange. If you converted to big bolt disk up front, you could get away with less backspace on the rim itself.

Well I haven't decieded 100% but the ones I've looked at are 1". The only reason I'm asking this is I don't really wanna upgrade to the large bolt pattern. I found a company that makes 18" wheels with the small bolt pattern but it's only one design. I really want American racing Nova's

-
Back