Proportioning Valve II

-

ckj688

Reaction score
I know there was another thread about proportioning valves that touched on the issue, but I'm looking for more direct input on a specific question.

I had manual front and rear drums and have recently upgraded to manual front and rear discs. Now I've heard from one person that it's foolish to use a proportioning valve because there is no need with manuals discs, but then I hear from a different source that I'm going to have a lot of trouble stopping without one.

I need to know who to believe! I'll be doing the brake lines soon and I need to know what I have to plan for!

Thanks everyone!
Craig

You need a prop valve. You need it more for front disc/rear drums, but you still need it for during a hard stop. It helps keep the rears from locking up before the fronts. Get an adjustable one. That way you can dial it into your car.

Alright, so something like this is okay?

ssb-a0707_w.jpg

Depends on what your combo is. I always try to use everything from a 73 and up a-body including the rear brakes and distribution block. Mopar spent a lot of money developing braking systems so why would you want to stray from that?

on the same subject i have power disc front and rear should you use a prop valve with that setup

Depends on what your combo is. I always try to use everything from a 73 and up a-body including the rear brakes and distribution block. Mopar spent a lot of money developing braking systems so why would you want to stray from that?

I bought the front brakes before the rears (so this is why I effed up on the diameters) fronts are 11" Wilwoods and the rears are 12.19" The fronts have bigger pistons then the back though, so I'm not sure what to do!

I know there was another thread about proportioning valves that touched on the issue, but I'm looking for more direct input on a specific question.

I had manual front and rear drums and have recently upgraded to manual front and rear discs. Now I've heard from one person that it's foolish to use a proportioning valve because there is no need with manuals discs, but then I hear from a different source that I'm going to have a lot of trouble stopping without one.

I need to know who to believe! I'll be doing the brake lines soon and I need to know what I have to plan for!

Thanks everyone!
Craig

In my opinion you heard from a foolish person! Front to rear proportioning is like 70-30. Without this distributioning during weight transfer from applying brakes the rear will lock up first and forget about driving in the rain!

As stated, since you have NON STOCK discs in front and rear, the adjustable proportioning valve is the way to go. Stock prop valve is designed for rear drums.

My son and I just finished his 73 duster 360 today. We had changed his power front disk and rear drums to manual master cylinder. Thats all we did. We left the power porportioning valve on the car, we DO have a manual one from a 69. There are tons of breaks on the front, but the rears wont even stop the wheels from turning when the whole axle and tires are off the ground and in gear. What ya think? Change the P/valves or something special? Yes, all the barkes have been rebuilt before all of this too. But they never did work very well with or without power.

Jeff

My son and I just finished his 73 duster 360 today. We had changed his power front disk and rear drums to manual master cylinder. Thats all we did. We left the power porportioning valve on the car, we DO have a manual one from a 69. There are tons of breaks on the front, but the rears wont even stop the wheels from turning when the whole axle and tires are off the ground and in gear. What ya think? Change the P/valves or something special? Yes, all the barkes have been rebuilt before all of this too. But they never did work very well with or without power.

Jeff

You might want to replace the rear rubber hose. Sounds like it may be colapsed. Do you have good preasure when you open a rear bleeder?

ya know, that might be it...there never was a LOT that shot out...it just kind of shot a little a few inches. Not too far like it should..

THANKS
Jeff

-
Back